Flexplate Bolt Length

79bird

I got the flexplate bolts from Napa and installed the flexplate on my 4.1. It seems that the bolts would not go in all the way so I used lock washers and Locktight 271 and they seated. My question is, do you use lock washers and what should the right lenght be for the bolts? The Trans. and torque convertor aren't on yet so it's easy to fix. Just wanted to find out before I went any further. Thanks

flex bolt length---

I just measured them out in my garage---
.990---total length
.620 (5/8) thread length
Hope this helps----Jack

Thanks Jack, The bolts I got are definately longer than an inch, The thread length is almost an inch itself so I think I was given the wrong bolts by Napa. So I take it there should not be any washers used? I'll go back and get the right ones.

Flex bolts--

The ones you got should be OK,ONLY if they are grade 6 or 8,these need to be a strong bolt,,look in book on ft pounds of torque to use and dont forget to use loc tight,and ck to make sure nothing is rubbing ie:those bolts and convertor,,,but should be plenty of room there,but ck just in case,,dont need any problems in the future,just hate to do things twice,once is enough---Jack

Flexplate Bolts

I used locktite 271 on them and torqued them in 4 steps to the required 60 ft. lbs.. I'll put a socket on the balancer bolt in front and turn the motor to make sure there's no interference. My only real concern is the lockwashers that I put on there. Are you saying that by using the locktite and torqueing the bolts properly I should be ok? That's the impresion that I get. The bolts are the specific ones that the Napa guy looked up in his book at the store. Thanks Jack.

flex bolts ---

79bird---------sounds to me like you`re good to go,,,and be sure to keep it under 150mph on the street ! ! ---Jack

flexplate bolts

There's a first time for everything and it's my first motor and tranny swap. Thanks for the help, I'm hooking up a TH 350 for now but will be putting a TH200R4 in the future with the TCI wire kit for the torque convertor as my car doesn't have a computer. Got to put in some 3.42 gears out of an S-10 first so the motor won't lug in 4th., I have 2.73's now. The car ('79 Sunbird) should get up and scoot pretty good when I get done with it.

TCI switch kit for convertor

I think I have an extra kit for that,,let for look for it and I`ll get back to you,,I`ll let ya have it cheap---was going to install it on a 700r4 in a 40 OLDS,but changed my mind and sold the 700r4 ,but kept the kit----I`ll let ya know-------Jack

TCI Kit

Ok Jack, let me know what's up. I've got the notice going to my e-mail when someone reply's to this thread. If I can get it cheaper I'm all for it.
Chuck

flexplate bolts

The bolts I got from Napa were the wrong ones,but they said it was the only number they had. I went to another place that had ARP bolts and got a set of bolts, part #100-2901, Chevy Flexplate bolt kit. Same diameter,thread and every thing, just now I have the proper length. Tha Napa ones are around 1 3/32" long and the thread is 15/16 in length. The end of one of them was shiny from turning against the block. The lock washers were a no-no too. Just thought I'd let you know. Did you find the wire kit Jack?

wire kit---

Yea,I found it,but my son got in it and used a lot of the parts out of it---sorry----Jack

Oh well, I may go with a T-5 from a camaro with the Hyd. clutch. It may be more fun rowing the gears in my little car. Thanks for looking Jack.

700r4 lock up kit

I got this 700r4 lock up kit from bow tie overdrives,hesperia,calif----only cost me $65,,might try em out----Jack