Flat tappet cam breakin

I started a little high. The lifters pumped up and it settled at 3k. Usually 1500 to 2500 for splash and vary it . As time passes I lower it. Once past 15mins its usually home free. 15-30 depends on circumstances, temp, etc.

Steve, sorry to get off track, passenger side valve cover breather, how is that set up?

Yes. As long as you have a quality oil and don't go nuts with the valve spring pressures they still work fine.
since you brought it up;)for the benefit of others i would like to see those that want to push flat tappet cams go into more detail on what spring pressures are safe.

since you brought it up;)for the benefit of others i would like to see those that want to push flat tappet cams go into more detail on what spring pressures are safe.

Whatever the cam manufacturer tells you. If you're buying from Comp, for example, buy the kit with the matched springs and lifters, and make sure the springs are shimmed to the proper install height.

So its safe to assume that we can still use flat tappet cams?
I think so. There's a thread where many say otherwise. I do the install and breakin myself with good oil, lifters with hardened foot and 85-90 spring pressure.

Have noticed what appears to be a foot of different material on some of the lifters that Summit list. The product details do not specifically state this so it could be a file photo.

^It is. A lot of the time, when you see Buick lifters, it's the same stock photo they use for SBC/BBC parts too.

I am pretty sure the comp lifters are a hardened foot but cannot confirm this.

^They do not.

What's really interesting is I have a very OLD box of Comp flat tappets here and the box doesn't mention country of manufacture.

I think there was a time way back when when stuff could be sold here without being required to put ''Made in China'' on the box.

Part marking regulations change all the time. IIRC, in previous years (15 years ago), all that was required was marking the parts box. It was than changed to marking the part. Than changed/clarified that permanent marking of the part was required. There is also a regulation about the % of the part, which was very vague. It's part of the games all manufacturers play to increase profits.

Does anyone have a guess what would be considered normal lift loss at break in?

Not against flat tappet cams but really do not like how most of them have the groove cut in the front bearing journal. Haven't seen one yet that hasn't worn a groove in the front cam bearing. I don't think there is sufficient surface area to maintain the hydraulic support .