Flat tappet cam break in

Young84Ttype

Hey hows it goin guys. Im doin a stock rebuild on a 84 Regal T type, with Comp cams 206/206 flat tappet. Well I'm in the process of doing the break in right now and having some electrical issues. At first there was no spark, but the engine turned, so my mechanic changed the crank sensor and now we got spark. We crank it a few times, but no start, so bypass the cam and jump it thru the crank connector... BAM we got it goin, but only for 15-20 seconds. We crank a few more times but nothing, no start. So next we disaembled the coil pack from the ignition control module. All connections look good underneath. I did notice that the gasket between the two parts was missing. Tightened everything back up and no start unless I bypass the cam and jump it thru the crank. So my mechanic told me to get a new cam sensor cap. I'm waiting for that in the mail but my main concern is the condition of the cam and lifters and all other components.

Do you guys think that could of screwed up the flat tappet cam? When we did get her started it sound purrty, I'm just worried about the new break in. Help and thoughts are much appreciated right now. Thanks guys

Ps I posted the wrong picture

Attachments

• IMAG1228.jpg
    IMAG1228.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 142
Actually that first 20 seconds (and all the cranking) should have wiped off whatever cam paste you used....

.....the next startup will be without the extra help. :O

I think we soaked the lifters in the comp cam lube for a couple days and then applied more on the cam during the install. My mechanic swears it should be okay, but I just want input from you guys. Has this ever happened to any of you guys?

I hope you primed the oil pump and verified oil pressure before you started cranking? I had one start and run 30 seconds only to have a bad leak on a oil pump housing fix and restarted break in procedure and everything was fine If your concerned take the valve covers off and use a oil can squirt a little oil on the cam and lifters.mho should be ok.