flat black ? who's done it

Ontbuick

Well thinking I may paint my g.n flat black... looking at ppg hot rod black .. or Eastwood rat rod flat black .. can't decide .. any pros cons . ??

Painted a corvette flat black. Looks good when freshly done by once it is used gets kind of grubby in my opinion. You can not buff out the wear as it will go back to shiny. I know Alsa once had a flat black that once it showed wear could be misted with laquer thinner and it looke fresh again.

I painted mine last year with hot rod black loved it at first but a nightmare to maintain. I got alot of compliments on it thought so now im repainting it with a matte clear see what happens. The research ive did seems that it will hold up better and be easier to maintain only one way to find out though

look up the thread the guy just plastic dipped, it looks good for a matte black and when it fades that stuff just peels off

I actually messaged reaper as huntsg mentioned he did his with the flat base and matte clear and told me it was real easy to maintain.

I like that idea , I wondered about clear , as they {ppg} state its a top coat with no need for clear

Its the same with hot rod one stage only problem is there is nothing to protect the color so any little sctatch imperfection it there and you cant buff it because it will shine so you have to get the whole panel repainted its much easier to repair

Another option if your car has a straight body is a vinyl wrap. Thats what everyone does there high end European cars with much cheaper than paint

The car I did was done in ppg base and matte clear wears just like single stage will. Good thing about matte wrap, when you are tired of it just remove. It is still expensive to wrap a whole car at least 3 grand .

I don't know where I got this pic. I may have taken it???? Its been a while since I was trying to decide what way to go on GN project, but anyway I really like this one. Flat/satin paint and gloss black trim came close to being my choice.

GN_flat.jpg

What's the cost comparison for traditional GN vs. satin black paint job. I assume prep is the same?...

I don't know where I got this pic. I may have taken it???? Its been a while since I was trying to decide what way to go on GN project, but anyway I really like this one. Flat/satin paint and gloss black trim came close to being my choice.

View attachment 250860

What's the cost comparison for traditional GN vs. satin black paint job. I assume prep is the same?...
Not much difference, almost harder to make matte black perfect without defects as you can't buff out dirt

That's the picture that got me thinking.. I think because I am trying to do it myself ill go base coat clear coat , so I can fix my mistakes ....

PPG gm flat black is a nice finish allmost looks wrapped.its not matt its more satin it also doesnt polish if you sit there rubbing your fingers on it no matter how long you try and water beads off it like it has clear on it and if you drip oil on it you can wipe it off without it ending up gloss.if you spray gloss clear on it it goes full gloss black
IMGP6769_zps5e2e74c9.jpg

IMGP6908_zps2d800e32.jpg

1K acrylic laquer single pack with no clear thats straight off the gun with cheap general purpose thinners.costs us $80NZ down here in newzealand for a 4L can comes in handy for touchups cause we rip the rear 1/4 paint off in burnout competitions with steel belts LOL hence why we use it its dirt cheap
it lives its life doing this and drag racing LOL hearty buick v6 loves it does this then the weekend after runs 10's on full length 1/4 mile.warning some swearing in video for the religous members :D

Awesome video that motor can take a beating. thanks for the info im going to look into it i used single stage hot rod black looked great but was real difficult to maintain so im exploring new options