First time to track with TTA

turbows6

I need to get some seat time. I drove the car to the track Saturday to see what it would do and I felt pretty good about it. I drove over an hour to the track, teched in, and immediately pulled the car into the lanes without even letting everything cool off. First pass ever with the car it went 10.92 @ 123.x with a vacuum launch (1.66 60'). Second pass I tried a little too much with 12#'s and it spun off the line, but still went 10.85 @ 124.x (1.65 60')

I felt the car would have pulled more MPH. I went to add a degree of timing and realized that I had made a mistake and was running 22* in 1-2 gear and only 16* of timing in 3-4 gear :eek: I bumped the timing to 20.5* 3-4 gear and went back to the lanes.

I tried to hold the car at 8#'s off the line third pass, but when I hit the trans brake it pushed me back, pulling my foot off the throttle, and went a 1.93 60'. I knew it would be a bad pass, but it still went almost 104 in the 1/8th, and went 11.0 @ 128.5 in the 1/4 (not too bad mph since I totally lifted on the throttle right off the line.)

Another problem I had is that I wanted to lock the converter in 2nd gear, but for some reason when I hit the switch it won't lock up until the 2-3 shift, and when it does it bogs the motor down and takes a couple seconds to get back into the power band, so I know it's loosing a bunch around mid track from that. I'm going to ask in the transmission section, but I think the acceleration may be pulling the fluid off the pickup. (It has a stock pan, and I had the fluid level inside the factory recommended range) Lockup works fine when driving normally.

Hey, at the end of the day, I drove to the track and ran 10.85 on a crappy pass still drove home. I know this car has WAY more in it.

Cool. Definately sounds like it has more. Great mph!

How many cars are that driveable and still run those numbers? not many.

Those are great times, Congrats! That's a fast car! Hoping to get my TTA in the 10's next time out to the track. What's your combo?

CPT 66. I modded an old BGC stock location intercooler to fit. Stock heads hand ported. 210/215 cam. Stock intake, throttle body. Razors alcohol kit. I built the engine.

Way to go.. :D

You need to baby step the changes. Most are always trying to rush changes.. make only one change per pass. document it.. make another pass..

You cant work front of track(60) back of track(1320) all at the same time.. when you dont go very often.. take your time to get your bearings straight.

60 foot is one big hurdle..

Great Job!!! I agree with Razor. Take your time and enjoy the car and the learning experience. Break it and the fun goes away as fast as the car use to go.

Steve K.

I added 1 quart of transmission fluid on some good advice from Steve from here on the board (also the only other turbo Buick driver anywhere close to me) and it now locks up just fine in 2nd gear :biggrin::biggrin: The midrange feels waaay stronger than it did on the 10.85 pass.

I added 1 quart of transmission fluid on some good advice from Steve from here on the board (also the only other turbo Buick driver anywhere close to me) and it now locks up just fine in 2nd gear :biggrin::biggrin: The midrange feels waaay stronger than it did on the 10.85 pass.

My tranny lived for 60k miles and at least 50 12.xx passes with nothing more than a shift kit and 1 extra quart of fluid. the 44 ended it but only burnt clutches and no hot spots so fluid stavation couldn't have been too big an issue.

My tranny lived for 60k miles and at least 50 12.xx passes with nothing more than a shift kit and 1 extra quart of fluid. the 44 ended it but only burnt clutches and no hot spots so fluid stavation couldn't have been too big an issue.

You had great luck.

Mine had the neck snapping shifts when purchased... like it came right from the factory.:D Babied all it's life.

I bought the my TTA with 31k... and by 32k... it starting shifting like my grandfathers 03 Buick Century.lol I had it rebuild.:D

Joe