first time pulling engine!

Turbo PeppeR

pulling my engine out and was wondering how much do I need to remove off the top of the engine to safely pull... also I see theres an anchor on the front of the manifold to hook a chain too,where do hook to on the back of engine?
any suggestions on west coast engine builders,Id like to have me a high 10s car when done.
what are my options on heads,port stock heads or go after market?
thanks!

Are you leaving the trans in the car ?? If so, put a bolt with a washer through your chain into one of the transmission mounting hole opposite the bracket on the front.

there are also extra bolt holes in the back of the heads you can bolt into. Or do like me and just put a slightly longer bolt in place of one of the tranny bolts with the chain connected to that if you pull both at the same time.

Derrick

We just finished a 10 sec. motor for a Las Vegas customer. Could not find a quality, reasonable place there for his engine work.

You need to make sure you have a hoist with an unusually long boom. I bought a brand new hoist with a 48" reach and it still wasn't enough to pull the motor from the front. I pulled it out from the side, which worked really well. I dropped it in from the front, but it was harder due to the couple inches of extra boom that I needed.

I'd pull the trans as well if you're doing it for the first time. I could not get my motor to drop back in with the trans in place. After trying to drop it in 3 times and pulling it back out, I just pulled the trans.

There is an "eye" cast into the block for an S-hook opposite the bracket attached to the front RH side of the engine (on the front intake bolt). You can pick the motor up by those two points. Or, you can put a longer bolt in the LH rear intake hole. I found this was easier than using a trans bolt.

Good luck,
Jimh

or you can buy a pulling plate from John for 25.00 which bolts to the manifold in place of the dog house. Works great, no need for an adjustable tilting bar, just one single chain. I had trouble with the rear chain catching the top of the fire wall. After pulling mine 3 times within 2 months I would say it is worth the money. Leave the trans in place unless you need to work on it.
John Pearcy at www.Johnsperformance.com
Tech support line 1-360-658-9966
Toll free Parts line 1-V66-BUICK V6

paul

I personally just disconnect everything and pull motor as one piece. Use a strap and wrap it around the intake manifold under the dog house between 1 - 3 and 2 - 4 runners. This will perfectly balance and come out straight. I did remove my cross over to clear the trans lines. I remove the rad and the turbo. I put it on the stand and took it the rest of the way apart. contact www.hrpartsnstuff.com for the engine strap.

I snagged an extra lifting eye out of the junkyard and bolted it to the rearmost intake manifold bolt on the driver side. One end of chain went there, other on the OEM lifting eye on front pass. side of motor. I used a balancer on my hoist and it worked well. But I had to take the motor/trans out at an angle, not straight out the front, to clear the grille/header panel, partly because I had limited headroom in my garage. I found it worked best to put the pass. side of the car on a jackstand and remove the pass. side front tire so I could swing the hoist under the front suspension. This also kept the body from rising as the weight came off.

I also removed rad/turbo/crossover pipe and all accessories on the front of the motor.

Pulling an '86-7 turbo motor, just need to remove starter and wires, lines, etc. The headers [with turbo] can stay on, remove crossover pipe, remove I/C fan, A/C comp, alt and P/S pump so fuel lines can be moved. The fan and radiator can stay in place. Same conditions with or w/o trans connected when removing or installing.

Just another version!:)

Just did it a couple of weeks ago,Unfortunately not the first time.
Gravy. This is one of the easiest motors to remove. Leave the radiator in. leave the tranny in and tranny lines connected.do not disconnect A/c or P/s, these will just lay to the side and hold them where you want them with some bungy cords. Don't even remove the hood.
When you pull it, raise the front of the tranny with it straight up with a jack till engine clears the motor mounts. the rest is up to you.
When you put it back in, make sure the front of the tranny is raised as high as it will go. try to mate the motor to the tranny before lowering both of them down. At least get the motor to mate to the dowel pins then lower them down together. This makes it easier to drop onto the motor mounts.
As far as hooking it up to pull, just hook one end of the lifting chain to the eye on the front and the other end to the extreme rear intake bolt on the opposite side. Use a longer bolt if necessary so you don't screw up yours. Depending on the chain length you may want to remove the TB and Upper intake. I did not have to. Engine came out and installed very level and easy. Just don't get in too much of a hurry.
Just my way of doin it. Not necessarily the textbook way.