First car for Daughter...... decisions... decisions....

Madcat455

True love
Daughter has always bugged me about learning how to fix cars, but I don't have a "project" at the moment.

SO... the light bulb went off, I should get a project car... and have her help fix it up for it to be her first car.

NOW.. I'm looking (passively) for decent rides. Has to be something older as I do NOT want to mess with computers or crap like that.

Looking at early 80's Camaro's, TA's, etc. Maybe even a G body if I can find a good one that's not donked out.

Am I crazy for doing this? She's really into the idea, likes the 80 Camaro I showed her.... Figure a light 350 with a 4 speed auto would be good on gas and not too much power. Camaro's should be cheap and easy to fix up too.

Have a 87 GN locally for $2k too..... damn if that ain't tempting.

Getting something simple is a great idea, but getting something with a 4 cylinder will keep it cheap as well as lower insurance rates. You might see if you can find an S-10 with a 4 banger or a 2.8 in it and when she's a better driver swap out an 8 for some fun.

I vote for the G-Body. So many body styles to choose from, generally easy to work on & excellent after-market support. Try to find a Malibu. I think they will eventually go up in value.

~JM~

She may want a fixer upper but when it breaks whose car will she be borrowing? Get her something that will start everyday, doesn't have to be the prettiest but when it comes to women it needs to be reliable. Or you'll never hear the end of it. Teach her bodywork and interior repair, haha.

I'd go with a pickup. Parts anywhere, easy to fix, not too awfully much to get into one. Gbody is good too but parts are getting more expensive.

She really liked the Camaro... She likes the G bodys as well, they're just harder to find and she preferred the camaro. Found a 87 Monte SS with no engine, nice condition for $2k too.

Not worried about it breaking, I'm buying it 3yrs early so we have time to completely go through it... it'll have a new engine, trans, rear end, suspension, bushings, steering, interior, etc. I actually think this is the better way, since I'd just be buying somebody else's problems if I got something newer, and if something did go wrong.. more learning experience. LOL. NOT going brand new for a first car... LOL.

Only reason I'm doing it, is to teach her cars... She wants to learn, so completely rebuild one to teach her the whole enchilada..

To bad I can't find a GS in my range... her first words were spoke in my 72... Vroom Vroom... LOL.

$2K for a MC SS roller seams high to me. I do like that body style though.

I found a nice running '78 Malibu a few years back for less than $2K . A real cream puff/Grandma's car. They're out there, you just need to be patient if you have the time.

Good luck with the hunt. Sounds like fun.

~JM~

PS. If she really likes the Camaro... Well that narrows your search. I think its cool that she seems to like the older iron.

For my nephew, we bought a 86 442, and been teaching him. 307, auto, pretty much cant get in severe trouble, easy to work on.

My vote: gbody!

tell her to start searching and see what catches her eye- it's gonna be her car, so it might as well be something she wants..
and if she does a lot of work with daddy to get it ready for when she's ready to drive, it won't matter what kind of car it is- it will be priceless..

Hmm.. 84-85 T-Type or GN. Not very quick, but has enough power to get out of its own way,(trust me! She NEEDS power to be able to merge onto the highway, its rather annoying trying to merge with an anemic 4cyl), its a V-6 so gas would not be too bad. You already know these cars almost inside and out for repairing things. You can find them decently cheap with some work needed. I myself started with an 87 GN as my first car.. No regrets :D.. Although it has only been a year and a half haha.

Another option? Monte SS with LQ7 swap and 4l60E or 6 Speed. That car will get great gas mileage, has maybe 250HP, and down the road you can add heads, cam, intake, etc because it is an LS based engine and the aftermarket for them is HUGE.

Looks like I got a winner...

85 Ford LTD, no engine or trans... rear upgraded to 5 lug mustang 8.8... figure a light 302 and a 4spd AOD trans... and it'll be nice. Looks like a mustang, only 4 doors...

Should be easier for her to drive vs an 80 camaro... camaro's sit to low I think, can't see where the front ends.

She likes it too.

Have to call on the GN as well.... She didn't like it as much though..... don't know why, but I feel like I failed for some reason.... LOL.

I'm going to get my daughter something cheap on gas, reliable and newer for the safety features when she hits 16. Something I don't have to worry about breaking down when she's by herself late at night. My son wants a '60's or 70's truck when he's 16. I think I'll get something we can both fix up. Yeah, it's a double standard.

She like the looks of a '85 LTD with 4-doors? o_O

Hmmm... Is this car built on the Fox body so Mustang parts will interchange, or is it larger?

~JM~

She like the looks of a '85 LTD with 4-doors? o_O

Hmmm... Is this car built on the Fox body so Mustang parts will interchange, or is it larger?

~JM~

Same thing as a mustang, but 2 extra doors:

Attachments

• LTD.jpg
    LTD.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 109
She'll have the "Party Car". LOL.

So the Fox Body Mustang after-market parts will all interchange with this model? That would be a real nice option.

~JM~

She'll have the "Party Car". LOL.

So the Fox Body Mustang after-market parts will all interchange with this model? That would be a real nice option.

~JM~

Yup... Front end is the same... I even think the back is too, they literally stretched a mustang for the other two doors... Lol. Going to have to connect the subframe...

Going to go look at it this week, and if it's as advertised, its coming home.

Ended up picking up a 96 Mustang GT today... Nice one, was supposed to be one of the rarer ones with the 4.6l 5spd, with all manual windows, locks, etc. But the original owner swapped the doors for power windows/locks and the such :confused:

3.27 posi rear with disc brakes and a 5spd still in it though. Just needs a healthy 4.6l, and for me to teach the daughter to drive a stick :p

Nice interior too... just needed to be put back together.

Let the fun begin...

It's a Hard Top... Didn't want a Vert for her first car, HUGE blind spots.... plus they need extra support when you start going fast :)

WP_000109.jpg

WP_000110.jpg

WP_000105.jpg

WP_000106.jpg

WP_000107.jpg

WP_000108.jpg

Not too bad for a starter, and for $600... I'm not in over my head. The rear end and trans are worth that... lol. Have everything needed to put it back together, except for the tail lights, front bumper cover, and engine :p

Time to go hunting for a 4.6