first buick need help!

rockstar tlc

I am 32 and just got my first gm product, its a 86 white buick tt, have always had mustangs and dont know alot on how the buick is done. It has a digtal dash and climate control, speed odometer and trip meter not working. The interor light circut is blowing fuses, have checked all lights, power door locks, radio, etc. The parking lights come on kinda dim when the key switch is on but brighten up fully when headlight switch is on. Any feedback will be very helpfull. Thanks

I am 32 and just got my first gm product, its a 86 white buick tt, have always had mustangs and dont know alot on how the buick is done. It has a digtal dash and climate control, speed odometer and trip meter not working. The interor light circut is blowing fuses, have checked all lights, power door locks, radio, etc. The parking lights come on kinda dim when the key switch is on but brighten up fully when headlight switch is on. Any feedback will be very helpfull. Thanks

Sounds like you have an electrical problem.:biggrin:

Get a schematic and an multimeter, do the KISS method, start with anything that could be a single point of failure for all of them, and keep going until you find the culprit. My guess is there is several independant issues, lord knows Quality Control in the 80's was not all that. I would start with the fuses, make sure they are the correct ones and not blown, then go to the alternator, the battery, the grounds, the relays, the wires, the connectors....

Electrical issues are never fun, I dread them the worst, then A/C issues.

check the dome light. if it has had a headliner recovered it's posiable that the light is shorting out on the underside of the roof. they were supposed to have a cover to help prevent this but if the headlinder was removed it could have gotten damaged and thrown away atc start there first then move down towards the floor board lights. then check the underhood light and trunk light also the memory power for the radio runs off of this circuit too. the cigerette lighter is also on that circuit best i can remember.

good luck HTH

Is your cigarette lighter on that circuit? The time it happened to me it was the cigarette lighter with a short.... :)

You can remove and take your instrument cluster to any GM dealer and they can send it out for repair. A couple common places to look for the light problem is the cig lighter (as already suggested) and if there's any pillar gauge pods installed, I've seen them installed with screws that have pierced the dome light wire.

Also, while you have the cluster removed, you can send it to Caspers and have a special chip installed to eliminate the flashing 80 MPH and it will allow the speedo to display up to 199.

This might be where the short is. A couple weeks ago, my dash lights kept going out due to a blown fuse. Someone suggested I check the bulb socket in the center console for the shifter (PRNDL). Bingo, that was it! Wire was touching metal and kept shorting out. Insulation was rubbed through. Good luck!

Get a manual from Jer on a CD.
All the electrical diagrams on it etc.

buickman@r00td0wn.net

Buick Man

Later AJ

Yup, if you have a floor console, then I would bet my GN that that is what your problem is. Been there, done that, twice. Every GN console will have or currently have that problem.

Invest in the factory service manuals (there's 2). I prefer them to CD's because if I need info I can just flip to the page rather than go inside and possible get the keyboard dirty...