Finished steering upgrade

Paul69camaro

Just wanted to post some initial thoughts and opinions after finishing my steering system upgrade. I replaced all the linkages with the full spohn kit, went with a lee 670 steering box and a DSE steering shaft. It's a day an night difference, my old rag joint was shot but even with that the feel of the car is much better, slack is almost non existent (not quite as good as my wife's Audi s4, but damn close). It honestly feels like a new car, very tight and the steering input is stiffer but reacts way faster. I do have the ATS spindles on my car which have slightly shorter steering arms that also improve the ratio. My only complaints are that for the money DSE charges for their steering shaft, it should be a bolt on, I shouldn't have to drill the holes to mount the joints on either end. It's very easy to do but I just don't understand why it isn't done when it leaves their machine shop. Besides that, it's a very nice piece like most DSE items are. The entire swap is extremely easy to do and I'd highly recommend it if your looking looking for a quicker steering ratio.

Paul

I'm looking at the Delphi 670 box. Was it a direct bolt on with no mods to the pump of fittings? Thanks.

Chris,
My memory really sucks and I did this mod two and a half years ago but I don't recall having to modify any fittings. I do know that it bolted right up though. Hope that helps.

Paul

Chris,
My memory really sucks and I did this mod two and a half years ago but I don't recall having to modify any fittings. I do know that it bolted right up though. Hope that helps.

Paul
Thank you. Unfortunately these are on national back order so I wont be getting one for another 4-6 weeks.

Just wanted to post some initial thoughts and opinions after finishing my steering system upgrade. I replaced all the linkages with the full spohn kit, went with a lee 670 steering box and a DSE steering shaft. It's a day an night difference, my old rag joint was shot but even with that the feel of the car is much better, slack is almost non existent (not quite as good as my wife's Audi s4, but damn close). It honestly feels like a new car, very tight and the steering input is stiffer but reacts way faster. I do have the ATS spindles on my car which have slightly shorter steering arms that also improve the ratio. My only complaints are that for the money DSE charges for their steering shaft, it should be a bolt on, I shouldn't have to drill the holes to mount the joints on either end. It's very easy to do but I just don't understand why it isn't done when it leaves their machine shop. Besides that, it's a very nice piece like most DSE items are. The entire swap is extremely easy to do and I'd highly recommend it if your looking looking for a quicker steering ratio.

Paul

Thanks for the input on the DSE steering shaft.... I was looking into that, and that is weird that they don't have it already drilled. So this was a nice heads up.

Every where I look it shows the Lee box is discontinued. Does the Turn One use different hoses?