Finished Installing SMC Kit.... WOW!!

TWIN86GNS

I got in on the very first GP of the SMC kits, I ordered it in December of 2000, the kit arrived in April of 2001 and I installed it in August 2002. The install went well, the directions are well written and the components look top quality. I finished installing everything Friday night, filled the tank with 99% Isopropyl (will be getting Denatured soon) and hit the red "test" light and the engine stumbled as it should.

Today my neighbour and I went out, he was watching the scanner and we were running a JC 110 octane chip for Blue Tops. The on point was about 11#'s of boost and the pump speed was about 7.5. The car hit 15 #'s of boost and dropped back to about 13 - 14 #'s with a bogging sensation but no knock. I turned the on point up to about 12 or 13#'s and turned the pump speed down to about 4 and tried it again. The car hit 15#'s and stayed there and pulled well, no knock. Turn the boost up a bit and left the controller alone and tried it again, 18 - 19#'s of boost with 3* of retard. Finally turned the pump speed up to 6.5 and tried it again, 18 - 19#'s of boost with 0 knock. I was very happy!!!

We were only out for about 15 minutes and the car ran stronger than ever before so I am thinking this is money very well spent.

Regards,

Paul Beal
pbeal@sympatico.ca

Good grief Paul....talk about a lengthy install.

I had mine in within a day!

Fun ain't it....

BTW Steve has made a few improvements since your kit was made. You might give him a call and check it out.

John

John,

What can I say? When it comes to my cars it takes me awhile to get anything done. I have a front mount for this car that has been sitting on my desk since June of 2001, I am hoping to get it installed either this fall or over the winter.

Some people say I am lazy, I say I just have a LOT of patience :D

Regards,

Paul Beal
pbeal@sympatico.ca

Hey Bob,

My setup is all of the "normal little things" (K&N etc) with a stock turbo, stock intercooler, blue tops and an ATR 3" external waste gate down pipe. I run a home brew fuel (about 100 octane) it is Sunoco 94 along with some Toluene to increase the octane. I was runnig a Jay Carter 100 octane chip with this gas and at 15#'s of boost I had no knock.

I think I should be able to get the boost up to about 20#'s with the fuel and alky with my 110 race chip. I am just starting to play with it but so far I am very happy that within 15 minutes of having it installed I can run 18 - 19#'s of boost with a race chip with zero knock. :D I don't think I will have any trouble running 20#'s with this setup, I just need some time to play with it.

Talk to you later,

Paul Beal
pbeal@sympatico.ca

I know, it took me a while too, though my kit does not have the adjustability of yours. I would try a higher pump speed if I were you though, because the increased pressure can give better atomization. Good Luck!