Finally upgrading from stock

Stuie

Waiting for Spring!
I'm looking for answers on what turbo/stall to go with on these upgrades I'm in the process of doing.. probably never going to see a 1/4 strip only a street cruiser. I'm installing ATR headers, ATR 3" downpipe w/external waste gate, ATR 3" dual exhaust, Precision F.M. intercooler and 42.5lb injectors, and alky injection.
I've already hotwired XP fuel pump, installed Volt booster and adj. fuel pressure.
I've read all posts on the TA49 vs TE44 just wondering if it would make sence to jump to a TE/TA 61 or 62 since they are the same price to purchase new.
Any suggestion would be appreciated, I've waited 12 yrs to start upgrading my '86 30k GN and want to do it right , the first time!

Thanks Stuart

Depend on how fast you want to go. 12's 11's 10's .....What is fast to you? I run low to mid 11's and I want to go faster. I just changed my combo to te61 and 3200 stall. Tune is another story. Can you tune? If so, you will go far on minimal parts. Remember, Bigger isnt always better. I just broke a tranny ($$$). see where im getting?

From stock the ta49,te44,pt51 with a restalled D5 will be a quick combo if tuned properly. If your not going to race it, loose the front mount $$$(some may disagree)$$$ but if you have alky and Dutt neck you should be good to go.Good chip from Eric Marshall and Julio's progressive kit will make the stock stuff alone seem like another animal. Just my opinion.

Bo

I agree with Bo. If you're not going to race it the 49/44 turbos with a stock location intercooler make for a great street combo with alchy. My WE4 runs low 12s with a TA49/Stretch IC/Blue top injectors/Alchy combo and that's about all the horsepower (380-400) you need for the street. Even with that combo, one needs either drag radials or a very educated foot to control traction on the street. Any more horsepower than that and parts breakage becomes an issue (tranny first, or course).

Now, if your street adventures include staying well ahead of the current trend in supercars, (Vipers, New Cobra Mustangs, New Z06 Vettes, and some of the new Foreign muscle), you might need to go with heads, cams, the 60 series turbos, high stall converters, front mounts, etc. All depends how fast you want to go as they say.

My GT6131E (basically a GT61 compressor and an exhuast wheel from a TE44) with a 3000 stall convertor would rock on the street, and with the alky I can go to thetrack, runs 11's and drive home on the same tank of gas. I currently have a 2700 stall convertor and it spools very good for the street, keeps the tires from spinning too fast too early :) but will definitely smoke them at 40-50 mph with street tires, thats enough to loose most Vipers and Z06s. At the track, 1.66 60's, with a bigger stall, I could launch with about 3-4 more # of boost and make some solid 1.5x 60's.