Finally Making Headway!!!

DoWork

Well, as some of you know, I have had an issue with my car breaking up under boost since I purchased it. After pulling my hair out all winter, we finally figured out what the issue is!

Now, I had tried EVERYTHING, and this whole time we were thinking it was an electrical issue(sensor or something, or faulty wiring)....if you guys would have seen the wiring mess the car was, you would have thought the same too. Well, after doing my gauge install this weekend, the fuel pressure gauge we installed lead us right to the problem. As the car accelerates, fuel pressure drops to the mid to low 30s, sometimes as low as 20. Good thing is, since it couldnt hit boost, nothing melted. We checked plugs, and they looked as they should, with only a hit of leanness.

So, I pulled the inlet filter for the pump, and found gravel stuck in the body! As it turns out, when the sump was welded in, the tank was media blasted(with the cap off!), and the previous owner never bothered to have the tank flushed. From what I can see, the filter got beaten to death by this crap, and it took out the pump. There are even still chunks in the filter after the pump.

So, I am currently saving for a new secondary filter(I have a new primary here), a new fuel pump($$$$), and to get my tank cut apart and cleaned the proper way. I can't wait! After this is done, it goes back to my buddies shop to be re-tuned. Once all this is done, it will be the first time I will be able to feel what my car can really do!