Finally found my noise

turbo87regal

Finally found the source of my noise and vibration at higher speeds:D

I going to change all the bearings in the rear and was wondering what fluid you guys would recomend and does it require posi additive because the crap I used before obviously was not working :rolleyes:

Attachments

• HPIM1147 (Small).JPG
    HPIM1147 (Small).JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 399
  • HPIM1149 (Small).JPG
    HPIM1149 (Small).JPG
    81 KB · Views: 387
Looks like that would do it!! :eek: Wonder what would cause galling that bad? Dirty oil? or too much preload?

REAL common. They just wear out. The factory bearings probably were not of the highest quality. Your pinion bearing now looks the same, too. (probably) Be sure to completely rinse the entire rear end housing out. I use LOTS of rags with lots of brake clean. Use a broom handle to push the rags in/out of the axle tubes. I takes about 6 cans of brake clean to get all the crud out. Also, look closely at the axle bearings, too. They probably need replacement, too. If the carrier bearings look that bad, the entire rear end usually needs overhaul/re-bearing. How much crud was on the magnet? If there is no magnet, then it had a non posi at one point. If no magnet, then that stuff went through everything, over and over again.

Lucky for me the axles are fine but I am changing all the bearings to be on the safe side. Car has the G80 code so its a posi from the get go (works fine too;) )and the magnet did have a good amount of crap on it. I will clean it out with lots of brake clean and rags like you mentioned.

Any recomendations on fluid?

any solvent will work, just clean until metal flake is mostly gone...you can't get it all.Final clean with brake kleen. Replace ALL bearings including wheel bearings.Use any name brand (i.e. Valvoline )hi-performance gear oil and GM or Ford posi-additive. Run it a few thousand miles and change oil and clean magnet. You should be good to go for a long time.

Here's what my noise ended up being...

pinion005.jpg

pinion001.jpg

And here's why...

pinion007.jpg

Yep, whoever changed the gearset before me felt that little plastic cap on the gearlube bottle wouldn't hurt nuthin'...Till it found it's way into the pinion bearing and in the gear mesh...

That little piece of plastic is no match for hardened gears. Either your abuse(we never abuse these cars-right) or bad set-up or just fatigue from years of boosted driving ,assuming there was plenty of oil present, is likely the cause.Shock is usually what breaks teeth....wheel hop,neutral starts , etc.Could be failure finally occurred from old damage.

I agree with the other experts. That's just normal fatigue and wear with a little coaxing in there, I'm sure. How many miles were on that rearend?

Mine probably had about 3K miles on that gearset,if that. It was changed from the original 3.27 to 3.45 by the previous owner. I personnally put maybe 50 miles before that catastophy. It started with a rythmic noise(typical pinion bearing noise) then it had a horrific noise.
The Mechanic told me it's the 3rd time he has seen this kind of failure from a foriegn object like a plastic cap or extension fill hose. It may just be plastic but it has mass none the less and those tolerances are tight.

Use the General's rearend lube and posi additive. The posi unit will work best and you'll only have to do it once. IMO, others' same weight lube and posi additive just don't work as well.