Filling EGR ports on cylinder heads

blackgn1

Set on TSM Boost
What can I use to fill the egr ports on my cylinder heads? Was thinking the easiest would be block fill? I could use aluminum but not sure it can melt it properly to flow through to the exhaust runners.

I wouldn't use block filler It won't stand up to exhaust temps, the stuff will flake in a water jacket over time in 180-200 degree water. You could use a torch to melt aluminum, if you don't own one I'm sure you can rent one.

The Champion iron heads are nicely filled in with aluminum--and there are enough of those out there to show that they do the job. You would need a pretty good torch to melt it and fill in the voids, and then machine the excess from the intake side to make the surface flat... probably grind/blend the bowl area smooth also.

I'll try to get some more pic tomorrow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 499
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 517
I have done it twice. I layed the heads intake side down on a piece of 1/4" plate. I poured the molten aluminum through the exhaust port using a funnel I made from a piece of galvenized pipe and a bell shaped fitting. I used a cutting torch to melt the aluminum in an old lead melting pot. A rosebud would work better. The aluminum I used was anodized and left a lot of black crud on the surface, but when I poured it, the stuff going in was clean and the crud stayed in the pot. If you can do it in one pour, it works well. Even two pours work ok because the aluminum sticks to itself. The heads need to be clean. A huge wad of aluminum was left in the port, but a burr with Alumacut took it right out and then I finished porting and polishing the valve pocket. The intake side of the head only needed a light surfacing after I ground it smooth with a small disc. Photo attached. Is it worth it? Only if you want a cooler intake and have the time to do it.

PC110006.JPG

ek02-- couldn't see the pic full size, but still good info here--thanks to all for posting. Seems like we get enough crap thru the PCV without adding EGR. I'm sure the Buick engineers had a reason for both.

The easiest way to get the early style valley pan gasket (that's cheaper) that doesn't have the egr holes in them. Then no exhaust can get out of the head.

The passage from the center exhaust port gets filled during the pouring process. The holes in the end ports are small, and I don't think they affect flow in the valve pocket, but they can be plugged with pipe plugs on the intake side of the heads.

I use a copper scouring pad take it apart and jam it in the holes and then pour JB Weld in there. The original (not quickweld) that takes 24 hours to cure, can withstand 500°F.
I also filled in the holes on the intakes like this. Nice thing is if you ever wanted very easy to reverse with a drill.

The easiest way to get the early style valley pan gasket (that's cheaper) that doesn't have the egr holes in them. Then no exhaust can get out of the head.

What is the part # for that gasket.
Thanks in advance

I have machined solid steel plugs to fill the holes. I also tap the end holes with an extended reach tap and install Allen bolts into the end ports. Not really sure it makes a power difference, though. Flow bench.......yes.......reality........?????. Lots of my heads (without filling) have run deep into the tens. Maybe filled they would have run 9's?