Filled and Smooth Chrome Bumpers

mtocrs1

Mtocrs1
Thought it might look good to get rid of the rub strip and bumperettes or whatever those things are called on a chrome bumper. Anyone done this? How’s it look and can you show some pics?

Hey, where are you from?

Sorry for the thread jack........:biggrin:

Are you using chrome bumpers or planning to paint or powdercoat them? If you plan to do chrome, keep in mind, you will need to use all metal to fill (lead). Not very easy to get perfectly straight, although do-able.

I've done smoothing on our bumpers and painted them. If you do plan to paint, it's not too bad. Just welding the holes closed, grind off the excess welds as smooth as you can then use bondo to smooth it.

Use black epoxy primer and a flex agent in the paint to strengthen the paint from rock chips and if you have black bumpers, the black epoxy primer will help mask the chip.

If you have any questions, I have quite a few pics.

Keep em chrome

Yes I want to keep them Chrome. If not I would just buy some fiberglass bumpers. Call me old school but chrome bumpers are where its at! The only new vehicles you can buy with chrome bumpers are trucks and vans. Its a shame in my opinion. Anyone have any pics? I know I cant be the first guy to wnat this done?

Not sure if this helps but i removed the bumperettes and filed the holes square, polished the caps of some stainless carriage bolts with a da sander and then a buffer wheel and stainless paste, and bolted them in place. Doesn't look out of place because some cars and trucks had carriage bolts holding the bumpers in place. No one notices it looking wrong but it definitely smooths the look.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_6486resize.jpg
    IMG_6486resize.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_6492resize.jpg
    IMG_6492resize.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 204