fiberglass hoods?

Cal,

How much are your bolt on (not pin on) style fiberglass hoods?

are they ready to paint, do they need sanding, or are they already painted?

Our fiberglass hoods are $400. We will be bringing some to the Indy race to help save on truck freight. They cost approximately $175 - $250 for truck freight charges. Our hoods are a 2 piece fiberglass hood, they use the original brackets for BOLT ON, they already have the release pin installed and a hood insulated can be installed with small holes drilled if you wish. You will need fiberglass struts or some old ones that will not hold up a metal hood and you will need a weaker release spring, which can be found at a local hardware store. We would recommend hood pins in the front for any cars running 140+ mph. If you wish to put your name on our order list for Indy, call Holly @ 321-722-1563.

How straight does the glass come out? Gel coat? Also, are they offered in cowl?

Phil

glass hood

I never knew how lucky i was. I bought a glass hood & deck lid from a board member for $ 350.00 , and it fit like a glove latch worked perfectly. Its a glasstech.

PhilM said:
How straight does the glass come out? Gel coat? Also, are they offered in cowl?

Phil

Exactly...

"are they ready to paint, do they need sanding, or are they already painted?"

How much do they weigh compared to the stocker?

They are black gel coated and pretty much ready to paint. Cal's on his car was lightly wet sanded (not block sanded), then painted. If you are looking for show quality, I would recommend the paint shop block sand it before painted, but otherwise, they paint up pretty nice. The same hood is on several customer cars (ie...Louie Lopez, Tony Gomes, Dave Fiscus), Dusty just purchased one at BG. You can look at a painted one on Cal's car on our website. Thanks, Holly Hartline

Oh, sorry I forgot to answer two questions....
No, they do not come with a "cow scoop"
As far as how much weight difference, I believe they were 27 lbs difference when we weighed them, but not totally positive. Maybe one of my customers can tell you exactly how much they lost on weight (other customer...Jason of RJC and Dick Kereny). Holly Hartline

HOFSGNX said:
Dusty, yes I just bought it, but my body guy already has about $200 into getting it to look right (of which POSTON has credited me $150) and about $100 into the front latch assembly to work and level with the front header piece. The thing is all painted and looks good now except for getting the front latch assembly to work and level with the front header piece.

Who did you talk to at POSTON? It is probably too late to ship it back at this point - what do you think? I was hoping someone had some experience here and could walk me through to get the front latch assembly to work on the POSTON hood. Any thoughts?

Sounds like you got the hood I returned since your having the same problems I had. I can't remember the names but I spoke with two different guys.

My main problem with it was in the latch area. The part of the hood the latch pin was bolted to hit the latch assembly on the radiator support. This problem would not let the hood close without major work or just doing away with the factory latch and using hood pins. I was very disappointed and returned it.

Bingo Dusty, that is what is happening. We cannot get it to close because of the fact that it hits the radiator support. I may have gotten yours, but it is probably more likely a bad mold. The thing of it is, the hood is painted and on the car - looks good after what my body guy did to it but the doggone hood and front latch assembly needs some help to get it to work and level out with the header piece. Anybody have any ideas as a fix would be greatly appreciated.

What do you think my chances are in getting a full refund without shipping it back because of all of the grief I have had?

P.S. Does anyone who buys these hoods from any source believe they will have to abandon the front latch assembly and go to hood pins? Any literature on these things that I have read do not talk about having to resort to hood pins, all they talk about is saving weight and looking great! Does anyone think they will not get a fully functional hood?

Kirban fiberglass hood...mixed feelings about it...

I have Kirban's fiberglass hood on my GN. I like it, but not 100% satisfied though... :( The finish on it is a little ''wavy''... nowhere as ''straight', as a steel hood...You can notice right away it's fiberglass just by looking at it. Also, the hinges bolt directly into the fiberglass only and have a tendency to become a little loose over time and cannot really be re-tightened because the fiberglass will strip and there won't be anymore ''threading'' left...
I'm still using the stock hood latch and hood shocks with no problems in conjunction with a Chevy Citation spring which happens to have just the right tension when compared with the stock one which is much too stiff for the lighter fiberglass hood. Don't ever remove your turbo shield with a fiberglass hood though...I did and it cracked the gelcoat a little just above the turbo, and sooner or later, I'll have to have the hood repainted because of that. :rolleyes: Oh well... :rolleyes:
On a more positive note, I had the underside of the hood lettered exactly like if it had a factory hood insulator pad for a ''factory look'' ! :biggrin: It looks really nice, in fact, Dennis Kirban himself came to see it several years ago while I was at Englishtown, N.J. at Buick event, and complimented me for the great job! :D ...I have pictures available for those interested in seeing how it looks!...Thanks for reading !...
Claude ;)

HighPSI said:
Oh, sorry I forgot to answer two questions....
No, they do not come with a "cow scoop"
As far as how much weight difference, I believe they were 27 lbs difference when we weighed them, but not totally positive. Maybe one of my customers can tell you exactly how much they lost on weight (other customer...Jason of RJC and Dick Kereny). Holly Hartline

I personally saw the above hoods at the GS Nats ( Cal's, Dicks, Jason's Louie's and a couple more ) that Cal and Holly sell. As I had just bought one from Hartline's, I inspected them pretty carefully. It's hard to tell them from the original GM hoods. They fit great, look great and sound great when they close. Everyone I asked was more than happy with them. :) :cool:

Buy one from Hartline's Performance, I did. Great service too !!

George

Fiberglass

VFN FIBERGLASS
Addison , Ill.
630-543-0232
http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/
http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/8187regal.htm
PERFECT FIT AND FINISH
No problems at all with latch etc.
no alignment problems.
light sanding and paint.
Perfect match for original.
$360.00 , weigh 20 lbs.
Just bolt on, install lighter front spring,shocks,and ready to go.
Extremely pleased with mine.Could not have asked for anything more.( Unless it came already painted ).
Cost approx $90 shipping.
Check web site, they also have other body parts.( bumpers,etc. )

Anybody else have problems with the POSTON hood as it sounds like I should go for a full refund on the one that was shipped to me.

My body guy had to:

1.) build up the drivers side front edge as it was out of square

2.) cut down the passenger side underside front because it hits the radiator support

3.) completely redo the latch area because it is not built up enough in one area and has to be repositioned in another in order to get the front latch assembly to work.

I will call them tomorrow. POSTON is good about standing behind there products so I do not think it will be a problem. Their stuff has always been good to me otherwise.

Any other input before I call would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

HighPSI said:
........... We would recommend hood pins in the front for any cars running 140+ mph. If you wish to put your name on our order list for Indy, call Holly @ 321-722-1563.

First of all, you do NOT need to go 140 MPH to lose a fiberglass hood. A local GN owner, 12 sec. car, was driving and racing w/o pins. I "suggested" he put pins on it.

About half way down the track one night, his hood went flying over the wall. . :eek: Yes, I did LOL, and he then bought a steel hood.

Of all the fiberglass hoods I have the mis-pleasure of dealing with, Cal's hood is the best - but I recommend the hood pins. :)

HOFSGNX said:
Anybody else have problems with the POSTON hood as it sounds like I should go for a full refund on the one that was shipped to me.

My body guy had to:

1.) build up the drivers side front edge as it was out of square

2.) cut down the passenger side underside front because it hits the radiator support

3.) completely redo the latch area because it is not built up enough in one area and has to be repositioned in another in order to get the front latch assembly to work.

I will call them tomorrow. POSTON is good about standing behind there products so I do not think it will be a problem. Their stuff has always been good to me otherwise.

Any other input before I call would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

A friend bought a poston's hood a while before me but it fit fine. Although it needed shims on top of the factory hinges to get it to line up with the fenders. His latch was OK. I assumed the hood I bought and apparantly you have now was a bad mold. Poston's has always been good to deal with and I feel they should refund you the money for the hood so they can be done with it. Maybe thought it was just a problem with my car????

Anybody have pics of the underside - specifically the front latch assembly. I am getting into it a bit with POSTON on the money I will need refunded to pay my body guy to get this hood to work.

Any pics out there? Any ideas on getting the hood underliner pad to fasten to these fiberglass hoods?

HighPSI said:
They are black gel coated and pretty much ready to paint. Cal's on his car was lightly wet sanded (not block sanded), then painted. If you are looking for show quality, I would recommend the paint shop block sand it before painted, but otherwise, they paint up pretty nice. The same hood is on several customer cars (ie...Louie Lopez, Tony Gomes, Dave Fiscus), Dusty just purchased one at BG. You can look at a painted one on Cal's car on our website. Thanks, Holly Hartline

1. Do you have pics of the unpainted hoods?

2. What else besides the different hood shocks is required to use the hood? or does all the old hardware just move over to the new hood?

000_0859.jpg

000_0857.jpg

you have to get different shocks.. they are only a couple bucks..

nordy racer said:
000_0859.jpg

000_0857.jpg

you have to get different shocks.. they are only a couple bucks..

Did you cut out the underside bracing or did your hood come like that ?

George