fiberglass hoods?

It has been my experience that most everyone that gets their hood from Dennis Kirban (who also supplies some of the other TR vendors with this hood) loves it. This hood comes with the mounting hardware attachment points so you can utilize the factory hood mechanisms. Just remember to change to lighter weight hood shocks.:eek:

Would it be neccessary to use those ugly ole hood pins on a basically street driven car? I know it sounds good to be safe, but man I hate hood pins. Any one with a fiberglass hood now?

no, the hood pins are not used on our glass hoods....just get the lighter weight shocks so you dont break the hood trying to close it....

dan

I didn't like the hood pin theory either. After I put my hood on, one corner was too high. Couldn't adjust it out. I ended up using the locks that sit flush with the hood. Need a key to open it, but it feels better at 100+ knowing it's locked.

hood pins - help to avoid them

I do not like the hood pin theory either - do you have any tips/installation suggestions on how to do the front install without them using the stock latch assembly?

P.S. I got mine from Poston, which I have heard is identical to Kirban.

Hood

I got my fiberglass hood fron Glastek and they recommend hood pins but I did
not install them and the hood closes and latches properly. I think it was $440.00 and I picked it up in Chicago Il.

I am having problems getting my Poston Fiberglass hood to work with the stock latch assembly - did you have any tips on hooking into the fiberglass hood and getting it to line up and work properly?

Hood

What is wrong with it? Frt latch, rear springs. I need some details whats not right about it.

level fiberglass hood with header

My body guy has the back and sides matching up fine after working it pretty good, but he can not get it to close properly and match with the front nose header panel. When he pushes it all the way down it is still a big quarter inch higher than the front header nose panel.

I think he can get it to latch but is concerned that he may have to get into the radiator supports or take too much out of the hood itself to get the clearance he needs to get it to level with the front header nose panel.

Any tips or installation guides would be greatly appreciated. Please do not say hood pins - Thanks guys!

I personally love the look of hood pins on my car the chrome stands out on an all
black car plus i now my hood is locked.

I know what you are saying about the look, but am after that stock look if I can keep it. Anyone have experience getting the front latch assembly to work and lineup/level with the front nose header piece - Thanks!

Russ Merritt watch out with those locking hood pins!!!

I had used those as the sole front latching mechanism and the lower sections broke in a matter of a month. Therefore I re-installed the stock latch. They really aren't meant as a true (structurally sound) hoodpin, just as a locking feature to protect the goodies.

Phil

Did you have any difficulty installing the stock latch or do you have any tips on how to get it to level with the front header piece? Did you have to do any cutting of the hood or get into the radiator support?

Scott231 said:
It has been my experience that most everyone that gets their hood from Dennis Kirban

We don't. We have ours made locally to our specifications.

Do you do anything different in the front of the hood to get the stock latch assembly to work? Do you have to modify the radiator support? Anything different than a Kirban Hood or Poston Hood? Helpful tips appreciated - thanks!

I tried the poston hood and it fit like junk. I had the same issues with the latch assembly being way off and would not work so I returned it. Did you just recently buy this hood HOFSGNX. I returned it to postons over a month ago and got my money back. I was still out of the shipping cost. I got one of the last hoods Hartline had built and there is no comparision. If Kirbans looks like Postons then they aren't worth kicking rocks at.

HOFSGNX said:
Do you do anything different in the front of the hood to get the stock latch assembly to work? Do you have to modify the radiator support? Anything different than a Kirban Hood or Poston Hood? Helpful tips appreciated - thanks!

I'm not familiar enough with their hoods to compare. Our hoods don't require any modifcations to the radiator support.

Dusty, yes I just bought it, but my body guy already has about $200 into getting it to look right (of which POSTON has credited me $150) and about $100 into the front latch assembly to work and level with the front header piece. The thing is all painted and looks good now except for getting the front latch assembly to work and level with the front header piece.

Who did you talk to at POSTON? It is probably too late to ship it back at this point - what do you think? I was hoping someone had some experience here and could walk me through to get the front latch assembly to work on the POSTON hood. Any thoughts?