Fiberglass Bumpers

87GN.Rickie

SLOW MEMBER
Anyone have or used VFN fiberglass bumpers? Mainly wondering about fitment issues or any other problems? Is there any other fiberglass bumpers worth looking into that does'nt have many if any issues? Any input on this is greatly appreciated Thanks

Rickie
I have a new front fiberglass, could not mount due front mounted intercooler. Did not want to remount the intercooler. It's possible but race season is here and I want to be there.

Roger Wallace (DARKSTAR)
CELL 719 332-8873

The only thing I can say about fiberglass bumpers is that neither the ones from Danko or Kirban's fit right. :frown: I first bought one that was made by Danko and sold it because I didn't like the way the parking lamps fit in them. It seems the brackets to bolt the bumpers to the car aren't deep enough, preventing the parking lamps to go far enough inside the openings and fit properly against the bumper like a stock bumper. After having sold that one, I ordered a second one from Kirban's and after it got here, guess what...SAME PROBLEM!...:mad: Made me wonder if they're both made by the same manufacturer??...I was pi**ed, got rid of that one also and went back with a steel bumper from which I trimmed the reinforcement behind it to save a little weight. I also removed the bumperettes and rubber rub strip, had all the holes filled for a clean smooth look. Now, that one fits perfect. :wink:
I don't know about the ones made by VFN so I can't comment on them.

Claude.:smile:

I went back with a steel bumper from which I trimmed the reinforcement behind it to save a little weight. I also removed the bumperettes and rubber rub strip, had all the holes filled for a clean smooth look. Now, that one fits perfect. :wink:

Claude.:smile:

Claude, would you care to post some pics of what these bumpers look like?

Pat

Our front bumpers are made by the same company that does our hoods. We haven't had any complaints other than availability :redface:

I picked up a set of fiberglass bumpers used, a couple months back. The front bumper has the air dams built in with a funnel built in for a cold ram air and it has a huge funnel for the inner cooler.(goes right up to the factory scoop) don't know who made them, but I sure glad I got them.

I picked up a set of fiberglass bumpers used, a couple months back. The front bumper has the air dams built in with a funnel built in for a cold ram air and it has a huge funnel for the inner cooler.(goes right up to the factory scoop) don't know who made them, but I sure glad I got them.
Does it look like this? If so, it's a Kenne Bell unit and no longer made I don't think. The bumper, scoop and air dams are all one unit and a real pain to fit.

My_WE4_Old_Town_D.jpg

Does it look like this? If so, it's a Kenne Bell unit and no longer made I don't think. The bumper, scoop and air dams are all one unit and a real pain to fit.

My_WE4_Old_Town_D.jpg

That's what I got i didn't put it on yet, but It looks great on your car! thanks for the info. Tom

Claude, would you care to post some pics of what these bumpers look like?

Pat

Here are a few pictures showing the problem I described earlier (see post #3).

Pic #1 (upper left) shows how deep the recesses are on a stock bumper (about 2 3/4")
Pic #2 (upper right) shows the depth of the aftermarket bumper (only 2 1/4")
Pic #3 (lower left) shows a front view of how bad the parking lamps fit in the bumper because the recesses aren't deep enough....
Pic #4 (lower right) shows a side view of how bad the parking lamps fit :mad:

Hope this clarifies everything! The only advice I can give you, is that if you intend to purchase one of those fiberglass bumpers, check the depth of the recesses for the parking lamps before buying one! :rolleyes:

Claude. :redface:

I got one of those Kenne Bell ram air setups. I'll sell you mine if you want another one. lol

how much are you looking to get out of it - my zip is 44055

Kirban update

We are aware of the fit problem with the marker lites and it is being corrected as spacing was not deep enough for the marker lites to seat properly.

We are not in any way connected with any other company on our fiberglass parts. We own all the molds and they are done locally. Our bumpers and hoods have been made since 1989-90 actually Conleys Tweaked had our first glass hood on his car. Our bumpers were on Buddy Coxes GNX way way back then also.

What I think has happened on the fit issue is the mold for the brackets simply started to "wear" down and my source did not realize that distance in that area was a critical thing.

It appears others have had the same problem.

Any rate..it is being fixed now and my source has a set of marker lites to keep on hand so he can test fit them.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I don't think anyone has been making them as long as we have and is still in the business of making them.....

I got one of those Kenne Bell ram air setups. I'll sell you mine if you want another one. lol

how much are you looking to get out of it - my zip is 44055

Not really trying to make any money out of selling it. What I would like is a stock 2 piece air dam setup. Do you have a stock style setup or make me an offer for it and we can figure something out.

Update on our front bumpers....the issue concerning fitment of the marker lites in the bumper has been corrected....actually our supplier has a set of marker lites on hand so he realizes that the distance has to stay consistent in order for the marker lits to seat properly wihtout hitting the bumper bracket.

Rear bumper of course does not have any issues...this same source has made our bumpers since around 1990-91....I am not sure how many different surces make bumpers for these cars but based on how long our company has produced them I would guess many of them are ours.

Ours has the clean front look with no visible marking for the rubber cushion and no name on them. Some owners actually take a real cushion and install it with the end result being it looks like a steel bumper.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I know ATR use to make them as did I believe Kenne Bell back in the day.

im not sure if this helps u or anybody else but - i have a welder and i unbolted the front and rear bumpers. then i cut out the steel inner bumper thingys lol, so i could use the factory mounts off the inner steel supports and welded them to the bumper... if that makes sense. then i welded the holes from the rubber that i unbolted and it long story short... looks like a fiberglass bumper but its factory. to b honest the only reason i didnt get fiberglass bumpers is because i dont got any money right now. it looks great and both bumpers r smooth if u want pics ill try and figure out how to post them hope this helps!

bought mine years ago from atr then i had them molded fits perfect

Attachments

• IMG_0849.jpg
    IMG_0849.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0861.jpg
    IMG_0861.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 254
FastDiesel- that looks so clean. That is THE slickest setup I have ever seen for our cars. Really makes me want to go fiberglass but not very practical for the street.
Do you have any more pics? And of the rims too.