Ferrari sees GN taillights (long but good)

chip

This is definitely my best kill ever and will be hard for me to top. I was tuning up the GN all day Saturday in Phoenix and decided to check out the local cruise/show spot. My brother and I hung out there for a bit and took off to grab a bite. I look in the rearview and saw what looked like a C5 vette. I slowed to see if he wanted to play and soon it became obvious that it was not a C5 but a red Ferrari Testerossa :eek:. So we go back and forth at 45 or so for nearly 15 blocks until we finally got a light. He knew what GNs are capable of and said he may not win but it would be fun to try.

I brake boosted to wake up the 70 turbo and left the line revved but with no boost. I jumped him off the line and it was over, had him by 3 car lengths by the time we both shut down. We got another light and he said that the Ferrari is more a top end car so we offer to go from an 85 mph roll on the nearby freeway. We both line up on the freeway and put the pedal to the floor. He spins tires at 90 mph and we kept even until 130 then he had us. I had just put on Nittos and installed the SMC alky kit that day and without both this story would not be possible. Nothing like smoking a $150,000 car to put a smile on the face. :)

Chip

whew, i'm exhausted after reading such a long post ;) but seriously, thats a friggen sweet kill! i think no one will disagree to that, good job!! i think id just wet my pants if i had an opportunity to race one of those cause i'm sure at one point or another it was one of my favorite cars...you know, back when you thought exotic cars were the end all say all and had no idea what a turbo buick could do? well...i'm still kinda dreamin, but someday i swear ill have my turbo buick!! its funny too, once as an "icebreaker" at some little event i was at i had to answer a question that asked what my dream car would be...of course i said an 87 gn and it just kinda got quiet cause apparently no one knew what it was...but i wouldnt have it any other way! once again great kill! and way to be a good sport and run him up top too, good job!

The Kill

So i guess you got every thing straighten out at nick's sorry that i could not stay and chat but as you most likely heard i had alot of parts to hunt down. But that is a great kill, soon i will have to post my kills when i get mine on the road.

Richard 84 (almost there)

So was this the 87 or the 85??

If its the 85 i have a lot of work to do : ) you know who this is. Whats up you havent replyed to my post. Ill be back soon im looking into trying to get a turbo off a 2003 Ford powerstroke which is running a large garret. Im just wondering will it fit??

We are going to have to get Rollin in here to shut down these obscenely long posts. :D

Good kill. Who cares if he had you from 130, its the speed at which you get there thats fun!

Euro what??

Euro trash=0
Gn=1
Eurotrash spinning the tires at 90= BS!!!:D :D

It might have been 85 mph but no less and he definitely tweaked the tires between gears. That Testerossa was pretty damn fast, especially around 40-45 mph and they sound awesome. But of course no match for the GN off the line.

By the way, I was running 14 psi boost, 91 octane and a lots of alky. Nick Micale is definitely THE MAN!

Sissaro - Good to hear from you. It was the 87 of course. Send an e-mail to Dave or I and we will talk.

Chip

If your running lots of alky at 14 lbs then your car is probably slower with the alky. Turn that boost up to 22 lbs at least.

A Lamborghini is Euro Trash. A Ferrari is a work of art. Thank you very much I am done here:eek:

A Lamborghini is Euro Trash (the newer ones at least). A Ferrari is a work of art. Thank you, I'm done here:eek:

I had just installed the alky that day and am getting lots of false knock from somewhere:mad:. So I just had the alky running to make very sure I was getting NO real detonation and to check the functionality of the SMC kit. This is also the reason that the boost is set at 14 (better safe than sorry). But it will be set at ~19-21 psi boost as soon as I fix this false knock problem. Hopefully this will be VERY soon, so watch out Ferrari owners!! :D

Originally posted by blackbuick87
Yeah, why run alky on 14psi.

Why run 14psi anyways? Even a stock car can handle 17 usually

Not many stock cars can handle 17 psi with the crap gas we have in Phoenix and Tucson. Even in 1987 my car new would ping at 16 psi on the best pump gas available here. It is now "listed" on the pump at 91 octane max.

The only Sunoco gas around here is in barrels! [At $4.50 a gallon]

Originally posted by Nick Micale

Not many stock cars can handle 17 psi with the crap gas we have in Phoenix and Tucson. Even in 1987 my car new would ping at 16 psi on the best pump gas available here. It is now "listed" on the pump at 91 octane max.

The only Sunoco gas around here is in barrels! [At $4.50 a gallon]

You guys get that wonderful California gas, eh? I bet the heat out there doesnt help either now that you mention it

Originally posted by blackbuick87

You guys get that wonderful California gas, eh? I bet the heat out there doesnt help either now that you mention it

You are correct! We get that junk imported from California.

Chip did not mention that Saturday evening when he was "playing" with his import, the temp was still over 100 degrees. Of course being the native Arizonan he is, no A/C for him!

cali gas sucks. im here in cali and i can tell ya it sucks. good thing i dont live in a place where it is to hot
during the summer we have about 5 days of 100* temps and the rest of the time we see 70 in the summer. during the rest of the year its ususally 50 or 60 out

I doubt it was a Testarossa you raced or at least not stock. I raced a few of them back when I was almost stock and running 13.90s with only 101mph traps and pulled them hard out of the hole and never stopped pulling.

A Ferrari is a difficult car to drive to 100%, and most of the people who buy them aren't experts, they just have the $$. I'd bet most of them can't get all the car has out of it. But that's just my opinion, which is worthless;)