felpro A/F ratio - erratic

J

John Snyder

I have installed felpro unit on relatively stock 86 T/R and the only problem I seem to not be able to "tune" is a very erratic A/F ratio that seems to run based on where I put the VE table, but I get several Dips to 9.19 (lowest the O2 will read) and then spikes back up to 12.5 (normal). I have tried to prevent this by selectively leaning out cells but have had no/little luck...I am afraid to get too lean under full boost (17psi).

Thanks for any help.......

So if you've tried to change ve values and not had any luck, maybe you're getting a false signal? There's a test to check if the O2's ok, I can't think of it now but you can look at some other posts here and see where to look for it at. It's a V reading you can see from the dashboard. Does the car feel rich (spit and sputter)? I've had my ve #'s too high and bottomed out the a/f and I knew it before I even looked at the data log just by how it cut out. Is there just a certain rpm/kpa cell or few cells it happens in? Good luck.

Are you just changing one cell or a group of cells. In the VE table the VE for a given RPM and MAP is interpolated from not only the cell, but the surrounding cells. Try changing a group of cells. You may already be doing this, but if not give it a try. HTH

Mike's got a good point there, I made that same mistake at 1st. Are you making big changes? I had to change my ve #'s quit a bit when it was way rich.

The erratic readings- are they happening while the throttle is steady or while the throttle is moving around?

TurboTR

This is the first time I have tried this board, I want to thank you guys for your suggestions, I probably need to try making my "path" of cells that I adjust wider. The A/F seems to wander regardless of rpm or kpa, I only notice it at WOT though, the car seemed a little sluggish and this is the only thing I can figure that is causing it. I have not seen any other data logs with a felpro so I think you answered my first question...is this normal?.. I am guessing it is not.

Thanks for the help.....

Have you adjusted your VE tables?

It sounds like all you need to do is record a run, overlay the playback on the VE table, and make some adjustments. Two or three iterations and you should be within about 5-6% O2 correction.

As you're probably aware, the VE table is what the ECU uses to figure out how much fuel to inject so that it can hit your target A/F ratio. If the target A/F does not equal actual A/F, then chances are your VE (volumetric efficiency) numbers are probably a bit off. If your VE numbers are not accurate, then the ECU won't be able to make your actual A/F = your target A/F. Play with the VE table until your actual A/F = your target A/F.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org