Fastest stock unopened motor

I feel pretty good then about my 10.74 a couple years ago. Probly had more in it but never got a chance. Friend cracked a piston in it while driving around with no alcohol in the tank. At least he stepped up and paid the bill.

Sorry for posting, some have different views on what it means so I thought a definition was in order.
A couple other guys went really fast back in the 90s that have not been mentioned.
Getting it done 15+ years ago is more impressive then doing it now. Technology etc has improved.... I don't believe for a minute anyone doing it lately and has raced a almost 30 year old motor and not had it open.
Another factor that should account is if you gut your car so it is lightweight.....not impressed. ....

To me if the valve covers been off its been open. Stock motor is just that , a stock motor. Those cars are flying with just a valve spring swap. Guys with Heads and cam aren't running 10.60s. Impressive times.

Imo new valve springs and new timing chain still classifies as un-opened, once any port work or cam change regardless of stock pistons the motor has been altered.
Fastest stock motor= car straight from factory no mods.
Fastest un-opened motor= bolt-ons, chip, alky, turbo, ect...

I feel pretty good then about my 10.74 a couple years ago. Probly had more in it but never got a chance. Friend cracked a piston in it while driving around with no alcohol in the tank. At least he stepped up and paid the bill.
Sorry to hear about the cracked piston. That sucks!
I'm not trying to break your balls here, but a quick search showed that you popped a head gasket at 11.teens. This thread is about unopened stock engines. Nonetheless, you have a quick ride there.

Any "driver" GN is gonna have 120,000 miles. Not much choice on the valve springs or chain. Trailered cars would be the only ones left fitting "unopened".

It's easy to copy what someone has already done 20 years ago.
Alot of experts now so this feat should be quite common these days lol.

Just for the record the car we went 10.69 had 63 lb valve spring pressure a change to 95 lbs picked us up 4 mph in the 1/8 this latest car has 17 000 miles and yes its an advantage

Getting it done 15+ years ago is more impressive then doing it now. Technology etc has improved.... I don't believe for a minute anyone doing it lately and has raced a almost 30 year old motor and not had it open.
I totally agree on your part about putting the car on Jenny Craig/gutting it out to make it faster... Of course that's a major factor getting those last few tenths shaved off

Valve springs and timing chain replacement should be considered as maintenance and not degrade from it being stock
What horsepower could you gain from springs on a factory tiny cam?

I've only been low 11.0s on multiple turbo regals with never pulling the valve covers. Friends have done better than that, guess the air was good
There is something to say about taking a stock turbo and running 11.7 and 11.3 as there is taking a factory rotating assembly into the 10.6 and 10.5s regardless of other mods

Doing more with less leaves a distinct aftertaste in the competitions tastebuds

30 years old. Oh crap time flys by when your having fun :)

I saw 30-40hp with a valve spring swap back then, makes the car come back alive especially when your putting the boost to it (30psi+).
Valve spring change is needed otherwise you will be floating the valves at that level...
Another trick is ramming the air into your air filter by removing your drive side headlight, that's worth 20hp between the 8th and 1/4.
Another thing i tested was larger throttle body's, no gain in the 1/4 but part throttle around the street the motor was more responsive.

You guys realize the rpm these things make power and torque at 3900 tq 4800 hp we are turning 5200 and it falls off a cliff .