fastest carbed turbo regal?

Can't u just bolt on a aftermarket intake edelbrock,weiand,throw a 4 barrel on it for a blown application get the 84-87 exhuast/turbo setup dump all the electronic crap and run it i see tons of blowthrough turbo carb setups hell u can use the 86-87 intercooler.The factory setup sucks am suprised somebody got it to go high 12's low 14's is about as good as it will get and thats with some tuning.

The factory setup sucks am suprised somebody got it to go high 12's low 14's is about as good as it will get and thats with some tuning.

What experiance do you have the factory carb/turbo set up? I'm running low 14's with very minor mods. Stock block, heads, carb and turbo. I'll be in the 13's this summer.

For every 1 carb/turbo racer, there are a 1000 SFI/IC racers with plenty of aftermarket support. Don't know the next step - just follow the recipe or ask someone on the internet. That's OK for most, but some of us enjoy doing it our own way.

I have had similar thoughts as blackstallion....

I haven't seen anyone do a blow-thru turbo/supercharger probably due to the fact that the 86-87 is so popular. I am planning a custom blow-thru for my '81 right now. Using 86-87 style plumbing but with a 4 bbl on top of a KB single plane intake.

None of this is to discredit the diehard guys with stock style carb'd turbo's!!! Those cars rock!! I have mainly planned to do this because of availability of parts (86-87 plumbing, brackets, Holley Carb, etc).

I think there is more potential to a blow-thru setup and technically it is a "carb'd turbo setup" however, not a stock draw thru setup.....just some food for thought.

Aaron

I had an 82 sport coupe before i got my 87 turbo-T we-4,I tweaked played with the carb/boost ect maybe its beacuse i live in california but the best i ran in that car was a 14.8@at 96 the draw through setup lags more,very uneven fuel distrubution and factory feedback system just doesn't cut it,the draw through setup costs less due to the fact that the carburetor does not need to be modified since its not under pressure and the fuel system doesn't need to be boost referenced.I love the 78-83 carb units and tweaking them.But i want to see someone do a blow through setup.

I may try blow thru on day. It's somthing I have considered before:
BEFORE BLACK - Blow-thru Turbo Conversion

I wouldn't convert a draw-thru system though. This would be a great thing to do to a NA motor and there are plenty more of those around. Why screw up a carb/turbo car when are plenty of 3.8 NA's. Just about any RWD GM car from the 80's needs a blow. ;)

So far the draw though had not been my limiting factor. Right now it's a torque converter, then it will be traction. :) Someday I'll do the same draw thru set up to a 4.1 with ported heads in an '82 GN.

13.202 @ 100.47 @ 1200' which corrected out to a 12.97. I do miss the OLDS. Actually, I am looking out the window at it. :)

Mr. Baker, I would have not been able to do that if it was not for the 8445’s heads I got from you.
Ready for this season? What class are you going to be running in? I wish they would bring back the street trophy class on Sunday’s. I talked to Sue they are going to keep that on Wesnday nights.

I wonder if Mark will be back this season.

Hey Fred! For the first time in 18 years, I am, in fact, 100% ready to race on opening day! I've already signed up for Pro points, although, once I re-learn how to cut a light with this combo, I may enter Super for a couple races. Mark visited toward the end of last season - still has all 3 cars. Maybe he'll make a comeback. Hope to see you up there in a few weeks! GB

So everybody knows, all i supplied was a good pair of cylinder head cores. Freddy did all the hard work.

I'm going to be trying either Super or Open. Since I have the T-brake and delay box, The might get upset If I try to run in Pro. Then Again, I might rip all that stuff out if I do not like the way it performs and go back to Foot brake.

Is your Dad going to race this season? (Sorry to High Jack this tread).

Do you remember Steve Bellmore? That use to come up with me. Sad to say he died a few weeks back. Heart Attack. I lost my Pit crew.

Of course I remember Steve! Wow...sorry to hear he's passed. I know he was a good friend. Dad is less than motivated to race anymore, but he'll be there as long as I am. Did you see his car last year at all? - He had the body done...looks real nice. There's pics on the LVD site...oct.8th points day...I think we're pics #223-225 or so. Greg

No , I did not make it up there at all last year. I will go check the pictures.

I have had similar thoughts as blackstallion....

I haven't seen anyone do a blow-thru turbo
Aaron

You will soon, I see no reason this will not work. All the test I have seen where FI vs Carbs at WOT the HP output is almost the same with the carbs sometimes on top. We are having to port the intake to match the heads and may have it flow balanced but it looks better than an 86/87 intake out of the box. I have been trying to keep this under wraps ie. our dirty little secret. We were in the process of converting over to an 86/87 setup and have most all the parts. We still need the wiring harness and a FAST system to compleat our setup ( Don't really need the FAST system but for our goals it will make it eaiser). With the cost of the eletronics way up there we could get a blow through carb, intake, and bonnet for alot less so we are going to give it a try. If it don't work I will use the carb on my corvette and Pro Charge it. My sons friend did this to his Mustang with a 302 with the only mod was fordged pistons, thats it, no ported heads, intake, nothing. He made 700 RWH and ran a best of 6.04 in the 1/8. I will keep you posted on the progress, just hope our friends don't come over and read this post, I want it to be a surprise.

Jim

jwilletgn,

I think I am in the same boat as you. I have contemplated this a while and my build is in progress. I was keeping it under wraps a bit, but I think for everyone's benefit I will probably be documenting my build. Look for a post or a link at some point with this info. I have everything I need currently for the N/A setup. I am going to get it running N/A and work the bugs out and then go for the blow-thru. Hope it will help someone.

Aaron

Our set up as of now includes:
85 GN LE-TA-61,Turbomotion race port heads 1.77"/1.5"SS Manleys,ATR 309G Billet roller cam kit,T/A performance 1.6 roller rockers and cam bearings, ATR Headers, 3" downpipe,2 1/2" SS exhaust,ATR Waste Gate, .030 TRW's, Billet center caps, rotating assembly balanced, ARP rod bolts and ARP main and head studs, CK Performance T400 with Brake and JW UltraBell, 3200 stall converter, 750 CSU carb, Aluminum O-Ringed Extreme Velocity Intake System, Cotton's front mount, MSD billet Dis, MSD Ignition Box.

Jim

Zacks 85GN...what intake manifold are you running?

How does that setup run? Any times yet?

Thanks,
Aaron

We have the Weiand 7541 but it will need some porting to match up to our Turbo Motion race ported heads. The engine is still on the stand with the 86/87 intake still on it. This engine has never been fired up yet so we are starting fresh with everthing. I have seen people deep into the 10.0's with the setup we have running the SFI setup, we will see how it goes. The real thing we are working on is getting the car to launch hard. We will be running the HR parts compleat setup, launching off the trans brake with a 3200 rpm converter. There is no reason we should not make at least 400 rwhp with our setup. I do see a bigger turbo in the future as ours is on the small size compaired to what other people are running on blow through setups. Our turbo was custom built for us by John Craig to run on the Turbo Motion V2 hot air converison kit, he labled it a TA 61 but said it really is a little different but did not say what.

Jim

Here is pics with the FI intake on.

Engine001-1.jpg

Engine003-1.jpg

Engine004-1.jpg

Engine005-1.jpg

Engine004-1.jpg