fastest carbed turbo regal?

Under Pressure

I had a 78 regal (turbo) i just wondering how fast anyone had got one to go? Mine ran 13.90 unported small cam ....

I ran a 14.4 @95.76 mph,:redface: 2.30-60':redface:,14# boost , stock cam, ported heads,2 1/2'' down pipe and 3.42's :smile: ( It needs 2500 stall converter to build some boost at the line);)

:confused: Can't you guys just add an Alky kit and slap on a trick turbo/converter and run some 11s? I don't see why not?

I'm thinking a little race gas...30PSI of boost, Alky as an intercooler/octane, maybe a custom downpipe? That should do it. Crank it up!

:confused: Can't you guys just add an Alky kit and slap on a trick turbo/converter and run some 11s? I don't see why not?

I'm thinking a little race gas...30PSI of boost, Alky as an intercooler/octane, maybe a custom downpipe? That should do it. Crank it up!

Yep, It's that easy:eek:

I know when i had mine i had 84 -85 hot air headers on it and i had a feed pipe that went to the turbo custom made. I wish you could of ran 30# i ran 19-20 # 110 octane no egr .Had the 795 cfm carb secondarie's fatten up ,1.6 rockers no plenum heater,2.5'' custom downpipe dumping through the wheelwell ,deltagate.never tried alky they didnt have akly kits 10-12 years ago like they do now. 10'' convertor ,342 gear, i did try a NOS kit 50hp plate system it was hard to tune and trouble some i just sold the system.

I know of someone who ran 30PSI on the stock Hot air turbo.....11s were the result. Stock heads/cam, etc..

Marka Gallina.

With bigger turbo wheels and alky, little work here and there.......:eek:
I don't see why the carb would hold you back?? Just use the alky kit for the extra fuel....it works!
Seems easy on paper, huh? E-bench racing at its finest.

True, I've never even seen a real carb'd regal, LOL
Only on Ebay and here.

If you want to get a little more technical. Back in 1992 Some guy (Ben Alameda) with a Tubbed Regal ran 10.41 with 282 C.I. 3 hlves of 1050 Carbs used a Trottle Bodies and Injected NO TURBO. This was the Shootout at Sundown in NJ..

Turbo2nr - have you ever seen the intake on the factory carb'd turbo ? Let's just say it isn't the best system for a high performance application. Very low airflow potential and the fuel is delivered about 3 feet from the intake valves. I witnessed Freddy C. develop his combo over the same decade I worked my production based n/a stuff. It took a lot of time, money,experimentation, and tuning to get that car into the 12's...GB

Two words......Alky system

Spray away your fuel problems.
Proven systems are all over the place.

I still don't understand why not, and really have no desire to try. Just posting on the internet to wate time as I smoke a cig.

.......have you ever seen the intake on the factory carb'd turbo ? Let's just say it isn't the best system for a high performance application. Very low airflow potential and the fuel is delivered about 3 feet from the intake valves....GB

GB,

Do you think one of the biggest short-falls on the carbed-turbos has alot to do with the intake? :cool:

If it is, has anyone ever tried porting and re-configuring the design? I could imagine an after-market company making a killing on an upgraded design. :D

Alky does NOTHING to improve airflow. It controls detonation in place of high octane main fuel. So, while you could increase boost pressure with alky, as Freddy C. did, that pressure is just being backed up in the inlet tract on the factory set up - not getting into the cylinders effectively. Freddy - I think it'd do wonders to adapt the Weiand 7541 - you'll have to cut the hood as it'd raise the turbo about 4 inches, also the exhaust, the carb-turbo tube, etc,etc...at any rate, you'd have to find a way to get the turbo outlet a straighter shot at the intake ports... GB...blow thru's really the way to go

OK, so we can get over 1000HP and run 8s with the 86-87 manifold......now you guys say the carb'd intake will never run high 11s??? Bull Chit!!! There is plenty of room to blow some air thru there. Seriously, think about it. Are the intake runners smaller than a #2 pencil or something?? Come on, are you serious?

So, someone has slapped on a big turbo and run it to it's limits, and found the intake was the bottle-neck?? Hmmmm

I had a 78 regal (turbo) i just wondering how fast anyone had got one to go? Mine ran 13.90 unported small cam ....

The infamous "Regal Brothers". :D Some guy I worked with saw my regal and was telling me stories about back in the day, the Regal Brothers. I assumed it was you and Chris, but then he said something about a carb... I didn't think he knew what he was talking about.

The infamous "Regal Brothers". :D Some guy I worked with saw my regal and was telling me stories about back in the day, the Regal Brothers. I assumed it was you and Chris, but then he said something about a carb... I didn't think he knew what he was talking about.

Yeathats funny, we played with the carded motors first then did the 87 transformation...the good old days lol. once you go intercooled you dont go back!!!!!