FAST USB to Serial Convertor

klawineagle

I just got my XFI box. Seems that FAST is now sending out FREE USB to Serial Port Convertors with every XFI system. It now comes standard with the ECU. Well, I have also noticed that alot of members seem to have problems getting their setup, so I am going to post the instructions that came with my system, and hopefully it will help those.

NOTE**
Please remember that these instructions are for the FAST USB convertor and the instructions may help configure your non FAST cable, but those non FAST cables may not work. This is what a FAST tech had told me on the phone, that some of them out there don't work, that is why FAST came out with their own, so they could be sure that they worked.

USB to Serial Converter

FASTTM electronic fuel injection systems use a communication cable to communicate between the ECU and a PC. This cable has a 9-pin serial connector. If the PC being used does not have a serial port, a USB to Serial Port Converter (PN 30-7044) can be used to adapt the communications cable to a USB port on the PC.

Drivers

A CD with driver files is provided with the FAST USB to Serial Port Converter. The appropriate driver for your operating system must be loaded onto the PC.

COM Port Settings

The FASTTM C-ComTM software can be set to communicate through COM port 1, 2, 3 or 4. When the USB to Serial Port Converter is connected to the PC, Windows will assign it a COM port number. If C-ComTM will not go online with the ECU, try setting C-ComTM to use a different COM port.

· Select “Setup…” from the “Communications” menu.
· Click on the “COM Port” tab
· Select a different COM port setting and click “OK”
· Try to go online with the ECU. If it does not work, repeat these steps two more times so that you will have tried all four COM port settings.

If C-ComTM still will not go online, it may be because Windows has assigned the USB to Serial Port Converter to a COM port number higher than 4. In which case, it will have to be manually reassigned to one of the COM port numbers that C-ComTM can use i.e., 1, 2, 3 or 4. This is done through the Windows Device Manager. The following instructions apply to Windows XP. The process will be similar with other Windows operating systems.

· Right click on the “My Computer” icon (usually found on the desktop) and select “Properties”
· Click on the “Hardware” tab
· Click on the “Device Manager” button
· Click on the “+” next to the “Ports” heading
· You should see a listing for the USB to Serial Port Converter. Right click on that listing and select “Properties”
· Click on the “Port Settings” tab
· Click on the “Advanced…” button
· Select a COM Port number between 1 and 4
· Click “OK” twice and close the “Device Manager” and “System Properties” windows

Note: If Windows does not allow you to assign the USB to Serial Port Converter to a COM port number of 1, 2, 3 or 4 and gives an error message saying those ports have already been assigned, you will need to contact your computer manufacturer for assistance in freeing up one of those ports.

Once the USB to Serial Port Converter has been assigned a COM port number of 1, 2, 3 or 4, set the C-ComTM software to use that same port number using the steps outlined above.

Good luck, and hopefully this helps some of you.