fast system. disconnect battery.

gmturbo

Northern Turbo
I had a head gasket blow from a poor machine shop
torquing down cylinder heads. I disconnected battery to
work on car, re-connected now and car runs rough does
battery dis-connect affect fast system? Does system lose its
memory? do I have to re-download previous program?

Not sure if batt. dis connect has effect on system

Help?:rolleyes:

Also if antifreeze got on wide band 02 would it cause car
to run rough at idles if contaminated?

Disconnecting the battery won't cause the ECU to lose the program.

I spilled some antifreeze in my exhaust once, didn't seem to affect it- but I am curious to know the real answer.

-Bob C.

I've had a couple of recent HG problems on my FAST-powered Toyota, and it didn't affect the WBO2 sensor at all. I've also had the battery disconnected several times, once for several months, with no problems -- I didn't need to reload any configuration files, I just hooked the battery back up and started the enigne when it was ready to go...

Jeff

on page 7 of this forum is a q/a that lance gave about antifreeze on the o2 sensor
the subject is WB not reading question

I think the post you're referring to is titled Signs of a dead WB O2?. Craig does state that the WBO2 sensor, like all O2 sensors, hates coolant and anything more than a whiff can kill it.

Given my own history of HG problems, I guess I'd better make sure mine is OK...

Jeff

I would definitely be worried about your O2 sensor if you got coolant in it. The only sensor I know of that doesn't mind getting coolant in it is a coolant temp sensor! :)

Disable closed loop and see if your car continues to idle poorly. If not, we may be on to something. Look at a voltage called UEGOS in the main dash display. It should stabilize at about .45 volts with the car running. If it doesn't, the sensor has most likely been damaged. :(

Disconnecting the ECU should have no effect on the program inside. If you hook your laptop up and take a look at the tables, you will see that everything is still there. Let's hope this head gasket problem didn't cause too many other troubles...

Craig