FAST install oops - hope I didn't mess up

Tom Willard

Installing FAST. Got all wires run where they need to be. Buick interface harness (Fast Track) all hooked up. While running the O2 wires I taped the 7 wire ends together so they would go through body of car better(they were removed from weatherpack connector). I decided to move my car back a little in my garage. I turned my key on to get the car into neutral and rolled it back. Then I turned the key off. That's when I remembered the O2 wire ends were all taped together! Key was on for maybe 20 seconds and yes, the battery was hooked up. Could this have caused any damage?

Very well could have caused damage. There are a couple of wires in that bunch, that are supplied with voltages as soon as the key is turned on. If shorted together, it could have damaged the ECU. I would suggest to put the wires into the connector, then turn the car on (do not fire engine) and pull up your dashboard in C-Com.

There should be three voltages for your O2 sensor, Uego, Uego S, and Uego R. Also, get the battery voltage reading from the dashboard. Get those readings (with the O2 sensor unplugged) and either post them here, or contact FAST to make sure they are correct.

Please remember, even if they are correct, you could still have problems. Next step would be to hook up the O2 sensor and fire the engine making sure everything reads correct.

I think you are OK. Without a valid calibration resistance value present on powerup, the ECU would not have attempted to apply any current to the heater element, which is probably the only chance for damage. Redo your connector and I am pretty sure you are fine.

I once knew a Tom Willard from here in DeWitt, MI. That isn't you by chance, is it?

Thanks Craig. At least I have some glimmer of hope!
I've never been to MI. I'm not the same guy.
Thanks for all the replies. I feel like an idiot for doing that!