Fast Combo

motorhead445

I have my '87 Turbo-T hooked up for bracket racing,I have all the traction aids& minor bolt-ons(Cam-ported&polished intake+Bell mouthed intercooler+cold air induction& many more.Im interested in a combo like TURBO-Intercooler-Converter-Injectors&chip.I want my car to Scare me I dont really care about streetablity I want all out power!I asked around & some said (Just go with a TE-44 & You will be happy.I dont want to purchase a turbo & have to upgrade in the future I want a package that will be REALLY:eek: FAST So I can run low11s or 10s.I need help for a good combo Give me a list, Thank You.

Well if its for track early, and streetability is not a concern, get a T72-T76 Q-trim with some 83lb. injectors, and a 4000stall convertor. The car will fly. Just make sure you have a 3.5in. downpipe or bigger.

John Craig TE-45A turbo (66mm wheel), CAS V4 21 row stock location IC, 3600-3800 stall 9-11 converter, staged double pumper, 72lb injectors with modified ECM for bigger injectors, and a MaxEffort chip or a Translator+, 3.5" LS1 MAF, Extender chip....

how much $$$

How much money are we talking here?I will be doing most of the work myself accept for the converter.I already have a 3' postons downpipe with a dump,With that much stall (3600-3800)will It jump out the hole?what is the factory stall?I can not spend more than $3,000.:( Or my wife will KILL ME!;)

You will be spending more than $3K if you want the combo I listed....

TE-45A turbo is about $1K, 72lb injectors are about $450, modified ECM for bigger injectors is about $150, staged double pumper from ATR is $500, MaxEffort chip is $350 last time I checked, CAS V4 is $700, and the 9-11 converter is $500 last time I checked.... the total is $3,650 and keep in mind this is without shipping cost and without installation of the converter so it would be closer to $4K.... needless to say the wife will be pissed, but I think she'll get over it!;) :D
HTH:)

Plus the cost of a girdle. If she is made about the $3600 she will be even madder if you make a mistake and the crank goes for a walk:eek:

do i need a girdle?

I really do not want to take apart the motor,I just want a bolt on deal,Do I really need a girdle?I just want a REALLY FAST 6:eek:

If you want it to live for more than 10 passes you need to take your time and do it right

Maybe thats why we dont all have 76 turbos and 83# injectors

10'zzz??

lots a talk and BS about throwing alot of $$ at it and doin a 10.. Saw no mention made of a set of heads for such venture??
How bout the $2500 tranny to hold all this new found power? What about the suspension to get it to the ground??
$3500 will get U started.. add another $4000, and you may just make it more than 1 trip to the 10's..BTDT!

what about a TE-61?

What about a TE-61-2800 stall(or required stall)-50lbs injectors-frount mount intercooler?Does this seem like a good combo?I really dont want to tear apart the motor I just want a fast combo.

if you want a fast combo, get your wallet out

see Chuck's post above or believe the bs that is thrown around so freely on this bb

$3,000 will get you a rebuild that will handle 10's and maybe some trans work.....after that all you need is a converter ($1K), turbo ($1K), heads (minimum $1K), and I/C ($1K)

this assumes your chassis is up to speed (including tires) or get another $1k out ....oh, forgot about the roll bar....another $1K......how about the rear end......another $1k+

your $3K isn't going far.......

everything is good

My motor is fresh,the suspension has been modified for bracket racing.I have TRW Rear springs-Boxed control arms-1LE bushings-2 air bags-Nitto DragRadials.I also have ARP long wheel studs&MT ET Streets 28s.I posted this thread because I get a whole bunch of different ideas,I was told to go with a TE-44 and be done with it,I interested in a combo of GOOD bolt-ons that I will be satified with.I DONT WANT TO TEAR THE MOTOR APART.I just want A SCARY RIDE:eek:

ok, get a TE-44, maybe it will scare you:)

you aren't getting the message......

I got it

I just had my motor built to handle some good power,It was just put in 2 weeks ago.I know what you are saying (I get it)Im just looking for advice,Im not SCARED THAT EASY:D I called Conleys Performance Plus&I can get a CPP PERFORMANCE PACKAGE VI-It comes with 1- Stock location Intercooler(Dequick)TE-44-HP Torque convertor-HP injectors for $1,985.Im just posting to get some ideas on what other Buick Guys suggest.I just dont want to have to keep upgradeing to get the Performance Im looking for.One guy told me to just put a 75 shot of NOS on it?Im still debating on this combo what do you think?Is it worth it?Will it be FAST:D

Re: I got it

Originally posted by motorhead445
I just had my motor built to handle some good power,It was just put in 2 weeks ago.I know what you are saying (I get it)Im just looking for advice,Im not SCARED THAT EASY:D I called Conleys Performance Plus&I can get a CPP PERFORMANCE PACKAGE VI-It comes with 1- Stock location Intercooler(Dequick)TE-44-HP Torque convertor-HP injectors for $1,985.Im just posting to get some ideas on what other Buick Guys suggest.I just dont want to have to keep upgradeing to get the Performance Im looking for.One guy told me to just put a 75 shot of NOS on it?Im still debating on this combo what do you think?Is it worth it?Will it be FAST:D

You have a dilema then. You want a scary fast ride, but don't have the money it's going to take to get one. $3000 wont even get you the bolt on's to make a "scary" ride.

My car only runs mid 11's. Scary? probably not.
Took a ride in a friends low 10 second car. Scary? I'd have to say yes. But the engine and tranny alone to get the car going those numbers is probably an easy 15-20 grand.

Things don't get scary until the front tires start coming off the ground. If all you want to do is scare yourself. get a 3500 stall converter and a trans brake and leave at 20 psi. You'll break a lot of stuff, but you'll scare yourself, even with a TE44.

Running 10's isn't a $3000 proposition with a TR (unless you are only trying to do it once.) The cost of the broken parts alone will be enough to "scare you".

Scary??

This about says it all!!!

UNGN wrote:
Running 10's isn't a $3000 proposition with a TR (unless you are only trying to do it once.) The cost of the broken parts alone will be enough to "scare you".

FWIW, if you wish to get some good input from board members, I suggest that in the future, you post the current combo, ask for suggestions for improvements, state your goal, and leave the request for a "scary ride" to your visits to 6 Flags.

If you would post, using some of these ideas, you would be less apt to get the kinds of BS replies that you got so far..

If this is a true bracket car, you would be well advised to choose a bracket and then build the car to fit at the top of that bracket.. there's nothing to be gained by running 10.75 w/ a car that's in a bracket w/ a cap of 12.50.. ESPECIALLY w/ 1 of these cars and a production engine.. Again, back to the $3500 deal.
[Refer to UNGN's comments at the top of this post!!]

The old adage: speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?, fits our cars, [and most others] perfectly.
Bottom line: I have a low 10 GN.. $3500 bought the turbo, IC, headers... another $15,000 bought the trans, converter, engine and other "accessories"!!!
:eek:

I'm outta here! Gotta pull the tranny so I can spend another $800 for a new converter!!:mad: :mad:

Re: Scary??

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
This about says it all!!!

UNGN wrote:

FWIW, if you wish to get some good input from board members, I suggest that in the future, you post the current combo, ask for suggestions for improvements, state your goal, and leave the request for a "scary ride" to your visits to 6 Flags.

If you would post, using some of these ideas, you would be less apt to get the kinds of BS replies that you got so far..

If this is a true bracket car, you would be well advised to choose a bracket and then build the car to fit at the top of that bracket.. there's nothing to be gained by running 10.75 w/ a car that's in a bracket w/ a cap of 12.50.. ESPECIALLY w/ 1 of these cars and a production engine.. Again, back to the $3500 deal.
[Refer to UNGN's comments at the top of this post!!]

The old adage: speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?, fits our cars, [and most others] perfectly.
Bottom line: I have a low 10 GN.. $3500 bought the turbo, IC, headers... another $15,000 bought the trans, converter, engine and other "accessories"!!!
:eek:

I'm outta here! Gotta pull the tranny so I can spend another $800 for a new converter!!:mad: :mad:

Well said Chuck!!!

I would shoot for high 11's in a street car. :)

How about a TA or TE 61 turbo 3K stall 9/11 converter with lockup.

50 lb. injectors.

Translator + and extender chip for tuning.

V4 stock location intercooler.

Small stuff like gauges, direct scan, fuel system mods. etc. are already assumed to be done.

Alky. kit for the street can't be beat.

Good tires too and proper suspension work.

With Sunoco GT100 unleaded and alky. you should be able to run 25psi. at the track and reach your goals on about 22* timing.

All the other guys are right about the 10's and low 11's I'm just ignoring them for now.

I am sure they won't ignore me. :D

Don't buy any combo. without reading a lot and learning or else asking someone who has it and can show you, the combo. and the time slips. :cool:

That's my disclaimer since I don't have that combo. ;)