fan wiring?

TurboBusa

huh??
hey all,
what is that rectangular ceramic thing where the fan wires hook up to? today i noticed my fans stopped working trying to find out what hek was going on? i have 2 fans and its hooked up with stock wiring config. i noticed when i was messing around the wires there is this insulator or something:confused: anyways, 2 wires hook to it then to the fan. when i touched that thing it fell apart. it crumbled, must've grounded or something felt hot. what is that? do i need that? or can i hook it straight? thinking about making it a manual switch. i do like the luxury of the automatic features. anyways, any ideas???

It is a resistor, and is designed to get hot.
The factory fan is really a single speed motor. The "low" speed relay passes power thru the resistor so the fan runs "low". The high relay bypasses the resistor for full power.

When I wired up my latest set of dual fans (single speed motors), I made it simple by running one fan off the low relay with no resistor, and the other off the high relay. No problems yet, and no overload on the factory wiring.