Fan clutch replacement

Gn Guy

My fan clutch is showing some wear and tear. The seal was gone and the bearings were showing. At the time I was not sure what replacement to get from my parts supplier. Is it important to get a thermal or non-thermal unit? I got and have installed a Hayden part #2707. Not much info but looks like a thermal unit because of the size. When I took the old unit off of course they did not look the same.

What sources are a good replacement for the GN? Are there any other cars to use as a reference?

I have had a heating issue and thought the fan clutch replacement would fix. At idle the temps are good, but hard driving without the air conditioning belt attached makes the temps go into the 180's . Could be other issues and I have replaced the 160 thermostat twice.

Thanks for any info.

I would highly suggest replacing the stock fan with an electric fan. Not only will it provide you with better cooling but it will give you tons of room under the hood.

I have a good used stock fan you can have for the price of shipping. I went electrical fans and will never go back to the stock setup. Brad

Thanks Brad, can you move closer to Calgary...lol. I will consider electric in near future. If I go electric how do you hook up the positive, ie: what source, fuse block, or do you put a switch in? What kind of electric pump should I use?

Thanks Brad, can you move closer to Calgary...lol. I will consider electric in near future. If I go electric how do you hook up the positive, ie: what source, fuse block, or do you put a switch in? What kind of electric pump should I use?

I converted my car to the 87 ECM and wired the fans into the ECM along with relays. This way everything is automatic just kike an 87. I simply used plug and play kits from Caspers. Brad

X2 definitely go with the electric fans it's a sweet upgrade wish I had done it longtime ago like mentioned above upgrade to 87ecm get the 2 harnesses caspers sells and wire it up it's all plug and play for fans I just went some dodge dual electric fans and they flat out move air and bring the temps down There is a thread on here regarding the electric fan upgrade there is good info in it

electric water pump

I think turbo 6x2 has one on her car. There are good sides and bad sides to electric water pumps in my opinion.

One good side is you can continue to run water through the motor in the pits after a run to cool the motor down.

Another is you get to get rid of the fan on the front of it.

Bads : They're kinda pricey ($300-400 for a mezeire).

Just like any other water pump they will break and you will probably b e stuck with buying another $300-400 pump.

Just get a good quality w/p from a parts house / supplier that has a lifetime warranty on it and dont worry about the electric stuff.

If the car you are building is a race car consider the electric pump for the benefit of the cool down cycle.

Jerry jr.

I put an electric fan on the back (pulling side) on my car. Driving down the road everything is fine, but cruising around town my car would run warmer than I liked. After installing the electric fan hooked to a switch under my ashtray cover, any time i drive in town i just flip the switch and it runs normal temps. The last fan clutch I bought for my car come from NAPA.