False knock, or so it seems???

I had to struggle with the same issue in my own mind, take away the background noise and hope that real knock will show its face if/when it comes in. For me, there was no way that real knock is coming in, just a false indication and it was causing so much Kr that I wasn't able to go.

I fairly certain that noise in the engine will show itself since I can tap areas on the motor and see the Kr come up on the scanner. I can't, and wouldn't if I could, create real detonation just to see if it will come in or not. If I can see it there with the sensor 1/8 turn tighter, I am very comfortable that I am right on the hairy edge of where it would be if I had a calibration method for doing this. I am certain that there will be a few that will call me nuts for assuming that the position it is in will protect the motor, but we all need to do what we feel comfortable with. For what I intend on using the car for, this is very comfortable for me. I do, however, appreciate any and all insight, so please do let me know.

I did obtain some other benefit from all of this as well. I have new parts that were probably ok, but some that were definitely bad and needed to be replaced anyway. One of the major items that came about this morning when I was finding out if a poor ground was the problem. I cleaned up some connections on the firewall and battery while I was also working on the knock sensor. When I scanned the car again, it was amazing how steady the O2 and BLM readings were after cleaning the grounds up. I could never figure out how people could post actual readings when mine were all over the place. Now I get it. Things are starting to look up.

Andy

Good to hear things are going better! Good luck with the car, and post up if you find anything else.

Could somebody take a picture on the knock sensor for me please :( ??
I can´t found mine :redface:

Thanks// Jakob

here you go. ignore the milkshake in the engine... old pic. :p

Attachments

• knock sensor.JPG
    knock sensor.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 308
Andy,

My story for the last few months has been exactly the same as yours. Funny I had to keed looking at the screen name above the posts to make sure this wasnt something I had posted but forgot. Is your solution still standing true...no knock? Have you ran it on regular fuel yet? Thanks.

Shane

Shane,

I was just reviewing some old posts and saw this one from you.

Yes, I am running just fine with regular gas. I recently adjusted the car to pass emissions and have some hotter heat range plugs in, which is causing an audible and measurable ping to the engine. I don't get false knock any more. I am convinced that the knock sensor was in too tight and causing the false knock. It is calibrated (my term, nothing else) to how I think that it should be to avoid false knock and still protect the motor from real detonation.

Hope all works out well for you.

Andy

reviving this one from the dead because Im about to chase some false knock as well, not to mention that this is one of the most informative knock chasing threads I could find!

Good thread for sure!

Raising the dead here but is this a good method to get rid of false knock?
Has anyone else tried doing this? If the sensor is in lose what keeps it from screwing out? :confused: