factory timing set still available?

mrtpolson

Are the factory timing gears, chain, and tensioner still available? I tried to look up the parts using some part numbers I think were from GNTType org and got a "no match" on gmpartsdirect.
Thanks.

I checked a few years ago and was told no. However I called aroung to some garages and found the gears but I could not find the chain. If your set on using stock you may want to look around and see what you can find but there are better options out there.

Hey Brian: Engine's at the Race Shop waiting for some back-ordered Probe pistons. What's this Texas address, not a GBGN anymore? I might have needed some parts from you!

I tried a search, but not finding much info. So, what are the noisy chains vs quiet ones vs the ones that aren't worth a crap? Is there a timing set available that uses a tensioner? Is a Cloyes ok...saw the Rollmaster but quite pricey for a timing set.
Thanks.

Yes troy ,I moved down to texas .To try it out but, go figure all the good deals are up there now.I ended up selling most of my parts.But building a new car maybe two(3800 project). hope alls well.Ive heard nothing bad about either of the timing chains you mentioned.Id use a cloyes or edelbrock.If your not using an aggressive cam just use a good melling stock replace ment.Thats what I used on a few cars and there cheep.all metal
Brian

I got a NOS one from one of the vendors about 4 months ago. Was very expensive but seeing how well my original one had held up i wanted to use original parts again.

I dont understand why anyone would want to use a stock timing chain? Why not just get a nice double roller and never worry about it again? For the money you will spend on an gm original you can get a Pro Gear double roller:confused:

i just replaced my stock timing set with an edelbrock. the stock set has a plastic coated gear which was in my opinion a very bad decision by buick. my chain and gears were fine, but my stock 3.8 in my limited shattered the plastic b4 i bought it and whoever replaced the set in it didnt bother to clean the plastic out of the motor just changed oil i guess. the plastic ran through the oil pump and into the crank and blocked oil to some bearings. shortly after i bought it it started knocking and thats how i found out. i wasnt about to leave that stock gear set in my turbo motor im building. What was Buick thinking with that.........all the performance parts on the GN's and a dumb design can screw you motor royally....

i just replaced my stock timing set with an edelbrock. the stock set has a plastic coated gear which was in my opinion a very bad decision by buick. my chain and gears were fine, but my stock 3.8 in my limited shattered the plastic b4 i bought it and whoever replaced the set in it didnt bother to clean the plastic out of the motor just changed oil i guess. the plastic ran through the oil pump and into the crank and blocked oil to some bearings. shortly after i bought it it started knocking and thats how i found out. i wasnt about to leave that stock gear set in my turbo motor im building. What was Buick thinking with that.........all the performance parts on the GN's and a dumb design can screw you motor royally....

Lots oof those went 150,000 miles! The reason was for the knock sensor.
They also were not built by Buick to runs 10's & 11's.
The stock gears were good for what they were Designed for originally.

no way

my fathers car had about 139000 miles on it about nine years ago and the stock junk gear let go (sheared all of the plastic teeth off) and bent about 8 of the 12 pushrods and valves. He has owned it since it was new, The car was mostly stock, fuel pump, chip, injectors, air filter, and regulator, although it had always been a good running car, high 12's on radials, but none the less, I would never take a car apart to put a plastic timing set on it. no way too much to risk. just my opinion.