Factory Frame Welds

ALBERTAN

Resident Window Licker
I'm taking a lot of photos as I work on my new build. I've seen some talk on this forum about how bad the factory welds are, but I haven't really come across any pictures. So I thought I would toss some up with an easily searchable title for future reference. :)

Please be advised the following photos are graphic in nature and may not be appropriate for owners who like to make sub 1.4 second 60' launches at the track. :whistle:

1. They say a picture is worth 1000 words. I only need one acronym...WTF! I took my kids out in this thing when they were little!

i-fqjvBhP-X2.jpg

i-RXP5mwZ-X2.jpg

i-dF3X49X-X2.jpg

i-RcQSjBh-1264x1685.jpg

i-dSjzZVq-X2.jpg

i-Vs9qFpv-X2.jpg

2. I think there may be the better part of a spool of wire loosely attached to the frame.

i-3ZH7dkG-1264x1685.jpg

i-fnbzHC7-X2.jpg

i-4cW9tg2-X2.jpg

3. Apparently the robots get bored and nod off on the assembly line every now and then...

i-dMRDszN-X2.jpg

i-pWX9cJV-X2.jpg

i-jXFB4S6-X2.jpg

Needless to say, I've got a long day of grinding ahead of me tomorrow. On the bright side, the robots probably missed 15-20% of the welds completely. :woot::woot::woot:

I don't believe I've ever seen one quite that bad.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

I don't believe I've ever seen one quite that bad.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

X2

That is the worst example of bad welds I've ever seen.

GM should hire the handicapped.
A blind man could weld better than that.

They must have used a commodore 64 to program that robot welder or maybe that robot was out drinking all weekend and had a vicious hangover.

Thats gotta be a one off. They are not as bad as what you got there. That is just bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These comments are what I expected, and exactly why I decided to post up some pics. I think we are all in denial about just how bad these frames are. This car currently has around 30,000 miles, and I bought it off a little old lady who was getting too old to drive, around 15 years ago. I assumed I had a "minty" example but this is what I found. What I have is a minty example of why everyone bought Japanese cars in the 80's. o_O

gn_lady.jpg

NOTE: All of these pictures are from the top of the frame. So you'd have to pull the frame to see these areas. I'll post up some pics of the underside, the part you can see if you lift the car, later today when I flip it to clean it up.

80's robot welding technology had a lot to be desired compared to now. Here is some modern automated welding from work.
20151016_111047.jpg

Attachments

• 20151016_110714.jpg
    20151016_110714.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 134
Can I bring mine back and have it done properly Sam? :)
Sorry , those tiny welds are on fuel injector pintle balls .... don't think a frame will fit :D. Those are done with a laser.

Those pictures are impressive Sam. I know the new frames are much better than the old ones. I'll get mine welded up and braced and it will be all good. Just food for thought for everyone else as mentioned.

Now I've got to go out and look at mine , it's on the lift now .

My frame on my wagon was just as bad, if no worst in the rear section. I ground and re welded every seam before the box and notch.

Now I've got to go out and look at mine , it's on the lift now .
So Sam, how did yours look. Mine is on the lift now, lots of missed spots and wire hanging off on the bottom side. Can't wait to see the top side once the body comes off.

So Sam, how did yours look. Mine is on the lift now, lots of missed spots and wire hanging off on the bottom side. Can't wait to see the top side once the body comes off.
Not as bad as Dean's , they didn't miss any seams , but there are tails everywhere .

The wire sticking out are killer. I was washing my frame while the engine was out and had a wire run up under my fingernail:cry:. It took two beers before it stopped hurting enough to get back to work.

The wire sticking out are killer. I was washing my frame while the engine was out and had a wire run up under my fingernail:cry:. It took two beers before it stopped hurting enough to get back to work.
My eyes welled up thinking about that kind of pain. nope nope nope nope nope