Factory Five Kit Car

yup ..nice shop BUT the the car quality =s the cheap price. I have seen a few very nice FF Cobra's BUT the majority ones are ... well you get the picture :p

I agree Dan, I looked at several F5 cars and the Superperformance cars
are designed and built so much better and fully adjustable for your use.
Road/Track ect.... Safer buy design.

Yes I have thought about building the hot rod and the GTM car. I wanted the GTM with a TA Perf. all ALM. heads and block with twin turbos 4LE tranny with paddle shifters. The Hot rod would have a 671 blown LS motor.
The Hot rod will end up around $35,000-$40,000 and the GTM around $50,000 to build.

I always wanted a gt40 so I bought an old used 1970s era kit from a guy and for the past 15 years have been dragging it all over the place. The year before last I had a new chassis made to work with all porches 944 suspension parts from a wrecked 944 turbo I got cheap. My plan is to power it with a turbo powered 912 or 15 engine and transaxle. .

I really hate to go against the grain of everybody here, but I wouldn't touch a kit car for all of the tea in China.
Most are of questionable build quality, most have replica motors, etc., etc.
When you are done, it's still a kit car.
If you are going to do one, buy one complete that somebody has already done nicely.
Why do you people thing that God designed & built turbo Buicks & the new Cad CTS-V's for? So you don't have to play with kit cars.
Sorry, just not my cup of tea, and I did look into them years back.
Very low resale on about 95% of them, too.

I really hate to go against the grain of everybody here, but I wouldn't touch a kit car for all of the tea in China.
If you are going to do one, buy one complete that somebody has already done nicely.
Why do you people thing that God designed & built turbo Buicks & the new Cad CTS-V's for? So you don't have to play with kit cars.

The Factory Five GTM is only the chassis, you have to install your own LS7 (or LS9,there is your CTS-V :) ) engine, corvette suspension and a Porsche transaxle and gearbox. So essentially the chassis is the only thing you have to worry about. :biggrin:

Hey, it sounds good on paper!!

One of the problems is that most peoples eyes are much bigger than either their billfold or their piggy bank. So when it becomes time for tghe last stages of the build & finalizing, they start running short of the long green and start scrimping. That is one thing that I have noticed in about 75% of the cars that i look at, especially the kits. So far, the best idea that I have heard on here regarding kit cars is the Coach's. That and Dapper Dan knows better, i don't think that you will ever see a kit car in his harem. Now incomplete cars, that's a different story.

you aren't the target market. some people built 1:24 scale models when they were kids and they wanted to build 1:1 models when they grew up- they are the target market.

Ya Im goig to build mine one of these days I dont want to cut corners so it may never get finnished but it does look cool in my garage.

I live about a mile from f5 and have several friends that work there. Have
been in several f5 cobras and they are a fun ride. Here are photos of
one friends car.

Attachments

• factory five 001.jpg
    factory five 001.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 214
  • factory five 002.jpg
    factory five 002.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 212
  • factory five 003.jpg
    factory five 003.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 205
One of the problems is that most peoples eyes are much bigger than either their billfold or their piggy bank. So when it becomes time for tghe last stages of the build & finalizing, they start running short of the long green and start scrimping. That is one thing that I have noticed in about 75% of the cars that i look at, especially the kits. So far, the best idea that I have heard on here regarding kit cars is the Coach's. That and Dapper Dan knows better, i don't think that you will ever see a kit car in his harem. Now incomplete cars, that's a different story.

YUP !! most guys buy the "package" an when it comes down to all the finish stuff they scrimp because they run outta $$$.. like I said there are some that really "look" nice and others that...well ya know what I mean :biggrin:

....Oh Gary >>> NO incomplete cars here.. (well 2 parts cars) .. Mazda runs and my new wagon runs to :cool:

One of my friends is doing a Cobra now. All he talked about for years is this kit car. I went to the Factory Five open house with him 2 years ago. He's called me a couple times with questions on the car. It doesn't hurt that he has a nice inground pool and cold beer. That being said, it seems like it starts as a way for somebody to express themselves, like a Street Rod project, and personalize it. Once in the middle of the dream, now it becomes a job or chore and only the truly comitted survive. I have learned one thing: these cars can really become dangerous when done.

One of my friends is doing a Cobra now. All he talked about for years is this kit car. I went to the Factory Five open house with him 2 years ago. He's called me a couple times with questions on the car. It doesn't hurt that he has a nice inground pool and cold beer. That being said, it seems like it starts as a way for somebody to express themselves, like a Street Rod project, and personalize it. Once in the middle of the dream, now it becomes a job or chore and only the truly comitted survive. I have learned one thing: these cars can really become dangerous when done.

Very nicely expressed and in a way that I wish that I could write.

the factory 5 cars are motstly built by the people who buy the kits,whereas the superformance are basicaly finished cars less motor and trans as delivered.I can see where people have seen f5 cars built by people who dont have the best or most diceplined fab/assembly skills could look like a quality issue compaired to a basicaly factory built and finnished car.I have no dog in this hunt,just an opinion.