F*ck. Got screwed on a transmission crossmember

Morbid

I specifically told the place I brought this crossmember from I needed one for a 200c metric transmission and they told me all the crossmembers are the same for out cars.

Well after sand blasting and re-coating the damn thing I finally got around to dropping the old one today. They are not the same.

From the bolt holes to the bracket for mounting everything is off. Not sure what I'm going to do now as I don't think I can use this one unless someone has any ideas.

Damn I hate this Sh*t

Attachments

• Crossmember.jpg
    Crossmember.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 208
Looks like the same one to me. Lay the old one on top of the new...Now, does it match????

The only difference that I see is that the holes are smaller and need to be drilled out to size to fit your bolts.

Thank god it's an easy fix. you didn't get screwed, just inconvenienced. :rolleyes:

They are different in my opinion. I have a cross member off a cutlass that came stock on the 307 motor with no offset on the tranny mount and the cross member on the TR has an off set. If the tranny mount and crossmember do not line up you can order a TR tranny mount. If the mounting point of your tranny is close and line up with the mount point of the cross member order the tranny mount for a cutlass with a 307. I could be wrong but that is my guess.

The bracket/plate for mounting is too far to the Drivers side when compared to the original one. And yes the bolt holes aren't big enough.

If this wasn't bad enough, when I got the old one out I just touched the rubber on the tranny mount and it all, or what was left of it, came off in my hands. :eek:

Had to drive two towns over to get the one and only aftermarket replacement part available in my area. They had to blow the dust of the box before handing it to me.

Ohh and I did lay newer one on top and it even seems longer.

It does look like the trans mount is offset more, it wouldn't be a big deal to me as I'm a welder and would just move it to the correct position.

Maybe the OP could do that or have someone he knows that has a welder do it for him.

I have a Miller MIG rig but it's only 115v and I don't think it would be able to weld that. I haven't measured the thickness but if it's > 3/16 I'm outta luck.
I would like to add I'm a hobbyist welder, not a pro by any stretch.

Well I'm just going have to put the old rotted one back in so I can button up the car. Then have to look around for the right crossmember that isn't rotted to hell and re-finish that one.
I'll be having a few choice words with the party I got this from come Monday. Find out what car this fits and try to sell it to recoup some of my losses.

Thanks guys for all the tips and help.

You could prep it and mark where you want it and take it to a welder and have it done cheap enough.

If I was close enough I would do it for free for you, but it should only cost 20/30 bucks at most if you prep it right and have it layed out so all that has to be done is weld it up.

Sorry that this happened to you, it just confirms what I already believe, that some people will say anything to make a sale or just aren't knowledgeable about what they have.

Good luck on correcting the problem.

If you use GBODYPARTS in the future you won't have problems getting the right part the first time. They are a vendor on this board. Or PM BWEAVY

Thanks man. If I can't find the right one, then I guess I may have to do some fabricating.
I know Brian well and have been buying parts from GBodyParts for over a decade now. Gonna be picking up some of those new fancy pants bumper fillers they got soon.

I saw they have crossmembers for sale (powered coated and all) but I obviously don't have a good core to send them back for the initial charge.

You did give me an idea though, I'll call them Monday.

maybe its from a 200 metric [3spd] and not a 200 metric [4spd] did you specify when you asked the guy?

Yes I did. Unfortunately these folks sell a lot of parts (new and used) but only specify the year, make and model.

Not the first time something like his has happened. Over the years I've gotten parts from people who do know their stuff it was the wrong part.

To make the bright side of a bad day I learned something else. Putting this crossmember in is a major PITA. I got the old one back in but it took quite a few "how the f*^ck did the factory do this " moments.

Least I have a plan for the next time.

That crossmember is from an Olds Cutlass. The perch on the Olds is centered, ours is offset. Oldsmobiles didn't use the rubber mounts on the ends.

Thanks for that info. Now I know who I can see it to and get money for the right one.