F body radiator?

MONSTER GN

Hey all, long time since logging into this forum, but i do have a radiator question. Im sure this has been touched on in here somewhere, but what year make and model F-Body radiator would I need to acquire to install into my 87?

have a look at the G body radiators instead.
F body radiator was a thing because they were cheap. Nowadays the G body radiators are also cheap and they’re for G bodies.
Look for Regal, Monte, Malibu on rock auto
Look for the 86,87 307 v8 radiator. The only think is there is no oil line provision..

Look for the 86,87 307 v8 radiator. The only think is there is no oil line provision..
I solved it with a cold Case alum. radiator. Has oil cooler ports. Gbodyparts sells them. The is slight modification for installation not visible. I also had original radiator recore. This worked well for stock motor.

Go to a auto parts store get a G body radiator CU162

Attachments

• B4E138EB-27D8-4D54-B176-0AB9138146F3.jpeg
    B4E138EB-27D8-4D54-B176-0AB9138146F3.jpeg
    957.7 KB · Views: 52
Ok cool, thanks y'all, I guess I'm just old school/frugal, more frugal than anything and back in the day the Fbody radiator was the way to go. Off topic question, are Intrepid fans still a thing? Just out of curiosity

Ok cool, thanks y'all, I guess I'm just old school/frugal, more frugal than anything and back in the day the Fbody radiator was the way to go. Off topic question, are Intrepid fans still a thing? Just out of curiosity
Cost is very close F body inlet is higher than G body and smaller . With the CU162 your OE hoses line up perfect and hose size upper and lower is correct and it has 2 more rows of 1 1/4 in. tubs not 1 in. And if I remember the trans cooler is bigger. Bigest F body is CU750

My car came with a cold case alum g body radiator. Aluminum shroud didn't fit the core well, and I spent 3 hrs. fitting it like it should have been from the factory.
The main issue was the fans were installed as pull thru, but the blades were for a pusher setup. It blew the air FOWARD out the front of the radiator!!!
OK I figured, I'll just swap the positive and negative wires, didn't work worth a crap, as the curved blades didn't work efficiently pulling backwards.
The solution was to make adaptors on my lathe so that the blades would fit the shafts spaced correctly and not hit the radiator or fan housing. THEN I noticed how much casting flash was on the blades and "finger guard" grille.
After another 2+ hours of die grinding and removing every other "finger guard" rail, I had fans that instead of pulling 7.8 MPH air thru the radiator, finally pulled 21.8 MPH air thru it. Damn near 3 times the airflow and much less noise too!
The only reason I spent the time was that setup was new on the car, and I figured it was there, so, polish the dog turd, and have a usable part.
If you are going to check out Cold Case you might want to make sure they have that little issue figured out, before you buy!
A few more thoughts about electric fans: if the fans are on and the car is going 40 MPH, and the fans are blowing at 7.8 MPH, they will slow down the air thru the radiator! AND, why the HELL are there "finger guard" grilles with the slats so close together even a baby's fingers can't get in there?
What? A baby is gonna open the hood and run alongside the car and stick his fingers in there?
Water pump mounted mechanical fans don't have guards, why do electric fans?
On most fans you can cut out 2 out of 3 rails and net more airflow, I have been doing this for 30 plus years!
A small Harbor freight $25.00 air body saw works great!
Yes, I am that anal about everything I do!
And I have a wind meter, among other odd ball meters and such, so I know what is happening!
I can't think of many parts on my car that I haven't modified and improved before their installation. I'm proud of the results!
TIMINATOR
YEAH, AND I POLISHED THE SHROUD, AND INSTALLED HEAT SHRINK ON THE WIRES TOO!

Last edited:
Cost is very close F body inlet is higher than G body and smaller . With the CU162 your OE hoses line up perfect and hose size upper and lower is correct and it has 2 more rows of 1 1/4 in. tubs not 1 in. And if I remember the trans cooler is bigger. Bigest F body is CU750
I got the Spectra premium radiator, my issue I'm having is finding correct fittings for engine oil cooler lines to radiator what should I be looking for?

there is no provisions fo engine oil cooler just transmission.
These cars benefit more by adding a aux trans cooler.
Most have removed the engine oil cooler
I hope I did not mislead you about the engine oil cooler saying all hose line up. I meant upper and lower hoses.
The trans dose not line up ether but most add a trans cooler in front and you have to get a little creative but its very easily done.
Your SIG you have enough HP to be installing a trans cooler in front. You will never miss the engine cooler. Your trans will like you and the engine will never miss the cooler.
Again sorry if I mislead you.

there is no provisions fo engine oil cooler just transmission.
These cars benefit more by adding a aux trans cooler.
Most have removed the engine oil cooler
I hope I did not mislead you about the engine oil cooler saying all hose line up. I meant upper and lower hoses.
The trans dose not line up ether but most add a trans cooler in front and you have to get a little creative but its very easily done.
Your SIG you have enough HP to be installing a trans cooler in front. You will never miss the engine cooler. Your trans will like you and the engine will never miss the cooler.
Again sorry if I mislead you.
No you didn't mislead me at all, I have an AUX trans cooler, and have factory oil cooler and was just trying to incorporate that with this swap, so my next question is, if that's not feesible, how do I remove the factory engine oil cooler to make that not a thing

It’s been a long time 😬 but remove the oil filter and get socket big enough to fit over nut that you screw the filter onto today. Remove it. This should let the donut looking thing attached to the hoses all come off. You will be able to screw the filter back on the stub the was under the cooler adapter.
You can get the longer filter. I forgot the number I’ll look tomorrow to tired to walk 30 feet to the garage and get the number. I said tired not lazy.

remove oil filter , remove adapter in the center , remove the oil cooler adapter with the lines , spin filter back on

run the trans cooler lines through the radiator , thats what those ports are for

It’s been a long time 😬 but remove the oil filter and get socket big enough to fit over nut that you screw the filter onto today. Remove it. This should let the donut looking thing attached to the hoses all come off. You will be able to screw the filter back on the stub the was under the cooler adapter.
You can get the longer filter. I forgot the number I’ll look tomorrow to tired to walk 30 feet to the garage and get the number. I said tired not lazy.
Ah yes, now that you mention that I remember this setup, just been a minute since I've been in there, awesome sounds easy enough.

Ah yes, now that you mention that I remember this setup, just been a minute since I've been in there, awesome sounds easy enough.

Stock filter AC Delco PF47
Long filter AC Delco PF 52

That's currently what's on there, but it's due for an oil change now. Radiator fits like a dream, easy peasy, removed oil cooler adaptor, took all of 30seconds, we're back in business now
Drove it today, 97degrees here and never got above 200 driving (165 thermostat) and parked with rpms raised got to 214 before dropping back to 210 which I'm comfortable with, was great to not have to turn the heat on and race to get the thing shutoff