Exterior Colors/interior color combos -Kirban

Dennis Kirban

Kirban 2 cents worth

First, to clear the air I began collecting any literature I could find on the turbo Regals back in 1988 at the GSCA National meet and have gone every year to the GS Nats since. Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s their used to be several big vendors there, some of who worked in Flint and I would buy everything I could find. With that being said what I quote in this thread is based on several different factory Buick publications.

Naturally, like the cars themselves they are not without errors. As many of you must realize most literature pertaining to an given car model is done prior to production. One glowing example is when the ZR1 Corvette project was conceived the original poster called it a 1989 model. When in truth it did not come out until 1990.

Exception would be any service bulletins are annoucements which would have an accurate date etc. Again no hard feeling for 1984-1985 owners but my area of knowledge is 1986-1987.

I even discovered something new while researching this today that I was not aware of.

First, lets look at only the exterior solid color black. Outside of the Grand National and GNX, I think almost every one would agree the choice for interiors that you have seen over the years is the grey. I have had a few that have had a tan interior and I even have had one that had a burgundy interior. I can't recall ever seeing one with a blue interior? Have you?

On the exterior, pinstripes was an option. They were painted dual stripe one was thicker than the other. The unusual thing about them is they broke under each mirror and only appeared on the sides. A mistake some owners make on a repaint. It was not unusual for car dealers to do stripping as an ad on and that is why you see some with stripes across the trunk lid or around the hood scoop. If a dealer did it the code would not appear on your trunk ID label.

The Buick literature did recommend the pinstripe should match the color interior. Meaning a grey gut would have a grey pinstripe.

What I did not know until I read it earlier is in 1986 you could have gotten had your Grand National pinstriped. The literature I have for 1986 only states it was not offered if you had D84 option which was Designers Paint Scheme. (Two-tone).

However, the same salesman book I have for 1987 not only says not available for D84 cars but also WE2 cars, the Grand National.

So, here is my initial question the trunk ID code for the grey stripe is 18A. By the way the pinstripe option was rather cheap just $45 in either year.

So, any 1986 Grand National owner show that 18A code on their label. They did offer a red pinstripe which was code 75A. No orange was offered.

In a later post I will cover some interesting facts on the black 1987 Turbo Regals as it is possible some of you may have a very very rare 1987 black Turbo-T and not be aware of it.

Speaking of black in the original performance days I am talking about mid 1960s notably the GTO which is our first business a black on black GTO would be extremely rare unlike today where black is the sinister color that seems to cross over to every performance car. Same goes for Mopar they had a bunch of what at the time was weird or crazy colors so any black on black example is pretty rare.

So for now lets focus on the black exterior models. By the way the chip guard or rough surface across the bottom sides was standard. What is not standard is having heavy spots of chip guard and light areas of chip guard. I never seen an original Turbo Regal that lacked that chip guard finish.

Also would be interested if any owners of a black T-Type (1986) or black 1987 Turbo-T slipped out of Buick with the standard chrome mirrors. On a black car they would really stand out as being different. The trunk iD label to back up chrome mirrors is DR3. That code is hard to find in any of the production booklets. But matching that code to having chrome mirrors is your proof that they are correct for your car either by dumb luck or design.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I am far from out of ideas to share....all comments welcomed.

Kirban said:
Naturally, like the cars themselves they are not without errors. As many of you must realize most literature pertaining to an given car model is done prior to production. One glowing example is when the ZR1 Corvette project was conceived the original poster called it a 1989 model. When in truth it did not come out until 1990

Chevrolet built 84 1989 ZR1s. Most were Press cars and Demos for the Corvette engineers. Just saying there was such a thing as a 89 ZR1 and not a 90 ZR1 built in 1989. Corvette Action Center | Model Center | C4 | 1989 | 1989 Corvette Production Figures and Performance Reviews

Like you I collect literature and memorabilia. To bad I'm away from my processor at home otherwise I'd show you a scan of the Emissions label from one of these Unicorns. One of my Corvette Shop customers worked on one of these and I snagged the part number of the label and by luck ordered the last batch of them from GM. I used to get at least $100 or more for them on eBay.

Hi Dennis,
I have a black 1986 t-type with chrome bumpers only. I know that you said that the 1987 ones are rare. How about the 86's? I haven't seen too many.(Mirrors are black too). Thanks.

kirbans 2 cents worth

I stand corrected on the ZR1 statement however, in all fairness I think we can agree we are both rite. While Press and Demos were produced, it was not put out in production available for the general public as a 1989 ZR1 model from everything I have read or seen.

Production cars would be titled as 1990 models from what I understand.

On the 1986 T-Types to answer the above they all had chrome bumpers. The black bumpers came out on the 1987 WE4 examples.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Know enough to make get by...

Hi Dennis,
I know all of the T-Types had chrome bumpers. I just thought that the car being black and not being a GN might make it rare. Most of the T-Types I've ever seen are anything but black. Thanks.

kirbans 2 cents worth

For 1987 Turbo Regals with exterior paint black (19) it did get very interesting. While many of you are fully aware of the WE4 a lesser known fact created a very very rare black Turbo-T for the model year 1987.

The Product Information Bulletin from Buick annoucing the new WE4 is dated 11-15-86. The WE4 as most of you are aware was all black with matching bumpers and WO2 black out package.

What many of you may not know is 2 days prior 11-13-86 another Bulletin was released stating that the WO2 black out package was no longer available on a black Turbo-T.

You can see why Buick did this as it would be too confusing since the WE4 was basically the same car except the WE4 now had matching black bumpers. You could however, order a black Turbo-T with the chrome package.

So, that left a very small window at the beginning of the 1987 model year for individuals to order a black Turbo-T with the blackout package. With only basically 2-3 months of production and black not being a popular Turbo-T color, you can see that their is not going to be very many of them produced.

The one label on your door jam would have the production date so if you have a black 1987 Turbo-T with the black out package see how close the production date is to 11-13-86. If you have such a car it is by far a lot rarer than any WE4 produced.

I have only had one out of 300 plus cars. If memory serves me right I may not have realized at the time how rare it really was. Plus, if it has any color interior other than grey it would really be rare. I would even go out on a limb and say you may have something that only a handful exist if that many. The Buick documents back up the dates that production was limited to. Its just a darn shame no one can figure out or had access to the production numbers.

Again I am not taking anything away from the value of a WE4, merely pointing out that because of its existance, it created an even rare black Turbo-T in the fall of 1986.

Something to think about.....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Keep the comments/compliments whatever coming.....I'm game

Dennis,
I think we should change the name of this thread to "Ask Dennis a question". I was wondering how many brown cars you have seen? :cool:
My car came from California and was in a calendar in 1993.

I know of one example of a black WO2 '87. This one was a grey interior if I remember correctly. I used to see it at the local 1/8 mile track. It was before I knew what a WE4 was and thought it was weird that mine had black bumpers and blacked out H/L bezels and no hood ornament.

kirbans 2 cents worth

Good idea for another thread, problem is, it would require too much research on my end to field a wide variety of questions. I was going to work down to some of the other rare colors after I covered the black mentioned above. Brown both the lite brown and brown metallic code 58 or code 62 according to the book I have is extremely rare is is the cream beige, lite sage metallic to name a few others.

Several reasons why these colors are rare. They were not popular, and in most cases or all, not sure without researching it, were discontinued during the model year. I have had one of the brown ones, and two of the light sage metallic. The brown one and the one light sage metallic where both national winners at the GS Nats at some point.

You have a very rare one. If you fail to see any at the national level chances are it is rare.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I have a total of 7 vehicles currently tagged and driven.

Quite a list after your name

Several reasons why these colors are rare. They were not popular

Glad you said that and not me.;)

Hey any chance you could get your grandkid to show you how to scan and post documents and pics? I'd love to see some of the documents you have in your possesion.:) I've seen many of the bulletins you mentioned but I don't recall any screw ups or revisions as far as the WE4 goes.

Hey Dennis I owned a 66 GTO 389-4speed black with black guts [bucket seats-console] and it was also a post not a hartop! Wonder what that car is worth today?

Glad you said that and not me.;)

Hey any chance you could get your grandkid to show you how to scan and post documents and pics? I'd love to see some of the documents you have in your possesion.:) I've seen many of the bulletins you mentioned but I don't recall any screw ups or revisions as far as the WE4 goes.

Concerning WE4s I don't recall stating GM made screw ups on the WE4 they did release a bulletin stating when the car was being introduced and they did release a bulletin 2 days prior that you could no longer order a black Turbo-T with the WO2 black out package.

As for screw ups it is based on cars I have seen or people have told me such as chip guard one side not the other sold grey console in a GN from new. The upside down insulation pad I owned it at one time it was brand new in the box.

WE4s with and without hood ornament. Mostly without. I realize you worked in the system you certainily must have seen mistakes where you worked. Years ago it was only the banks that would tell us the customers they never make mistakes.

That is no longer true rite?

Did you know for example their exists an internal letter that says GM restricted not to be copied dated July 11th 1986 that talks about the paint issues on black Regals code 19. Its noted as an inter-organization letter only. I have a copy of this letter.

I moved to my current house 3 years ago, I have collected a massive amount of turbo buick related books, etc. My notes are not organized nor in one area. In many cases I will state I am going from memory or its based on cars I have had or seen. Heck I even have the artwork for the GNX supplment cover and the blue print copy for the GNX emblem.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Keeping it interesting.....

Here are some WE4 docs that are posted on the internet

http://www.buickwe4.com/we4bulletin.pdf

http://www.buickwe4.com/we4brochure.pdf

http://www.buickwe4.com/we4carorderguide.pdf

I'd like to see the docs that limited or eliminated the black T with the WO2. Anyone have any?

kirban 2 cents worth

Its in my 400 page book page 66 the exact Product bulletin....

provide me a fax number and I can fax you a copy to you....

The real killer letter I got shows that GM, Buick was aware of the paint issues and that letter says not to be copied for distribution outside of General Motors. That letter is dated July 1986.

Liek I said before I have a lot of original literature since I started collecting when the car was new. Just not everything at my fingertips.

I wil take a personal check for the ID booklet I am doing 55 pages shows every single option 1984-1987 with the factory ID code and factory price as well as every paint code seat code based on several original Buick brochures etc and salesman guides etc...

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

Those files you listed above some of them are in my 400 page book also. The last one you posted is part of the dealer album for 1987 was printed on white paper blue ink if I member correctly.

Much of what I have would be very hard to find today....

Here are some more examples of what I got that is rare...I have the actual prototype metal samples of the original Riviera turbocharged fender emblems.....in my private collection.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

keep the questions coming will do my best

my plan is to start another thread under turbo lounge call it kirban 2 cents worth so it will not be limited to one area of interest and be easier for me to keep track of. I will keep the trunk ID label thread going to since that has such heavy viewing...as I got many many stories....

Someone earlier suggested kirban 2 cents worth heading..

Ialso have an 86 black Ttype,bench seat, astroroof. built 11/85, was kansas city district managers car, Was first turbo regal in the K.C. area. Later, Bob.

kirban 2 cents worth

Similar to the white 87 Turbo-T I just sold had astroroof and bench seat. Th bench seat combo with astroroof is quite unusual as most buyers would have opted for the buckets and console. Black also being a T-Type...like you said district managers car may have ordered it special.

I am sure in your travels you probably have not seen another like it....even at the GS Nats level.

Enjoy

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Some unusual turbo cars among owners....

Few combos I haven't see or wonder if they even exist..
1) as Dennis mentioned black ext blue int
2) maroon ext blue int
3)blue ext maroon int

Anyone?

kirbans 2 cents worth

For 1987 Turbo Regals with exterior paint black (19) it did get very interesting. While many of you are fully aware of the WE4 a lesser known fact created a very very rare black Turbo-T for the model year 1987.

The Product Information Bulletin from Buick annoucing the new WE4 is dated 11-15-86. The WE4 as most of you are aware was all black with matching bumpers and WO2 black out package.

What many of you may not know is 2 days prior 11-13-86 another Bulletin was released stating that the WO2 black out package was no longer available on a black Turbo-T.

You can see why Buick did this as it would be too confusing since the WE4 was basically the same car except the WE4 now had matching black bumpers. You could however, order a black Turbo-T with the chrome package.

So, that left a very small window at the beginning of the 1987 model year for individuals to order a black Turbo-T with the blackout package. With only basically 2-3 months of production and black not being a popular Turbo-T color, you can see that their is not going to be very many of them produced.

The one label on your door jam would have the production date so if you have a black 1987 Turbo-T with the black out package see how close the production date is to 11-13-86. If you have such a car it is by far a lot rarer than any WE4 produced.

I have only had one out of 300 plus cars. If memory serves me right I may not have realized at the time how rare it really was. Plus, if it has any color interior other than grey it would really be rare. I would even go out on a limb and say you may have something that only a handful exist if that many. The Buick documents back up the dates that production was limited to. Its just a darn shame no one can figure out or had access to the production numbers.

Again I am not taking anything away from the value of a WE4, merely pointing out that because of its existance, it created an even rare black Turbo-T in the fall of 1986.

Something to think about.....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Keep the comments/compliments whatever coming.....I'm game
I remember in 2000 (or was it 2001) when I bought my Limited from Dennis, he had a 1987 Black TR in the garage for sale. It had Tan Buck Seat Interior and also did not have the WO2 package. This must be very rare indeed. Remember, if a TR has the chrome trim (a non-WO2 car) it has to be a 87 since all 86 TR's were WO2 cars.

Few combos I haven't see or wonder if they even exist..
1) as Dennis mentioned black ext blue int
2) maroon ext blue int
3)blue ext maroon int

Anyone?

Ive never seen those combinations on any 78-88 gbody cars - also 1) tan/brown & burgundy and 2) blue & tan/brown.

This leads me to believe that it was not possible to order some color combinations.