Exhaust temp thermocouple?

larry33kc

I want to install a exhaust thermocouple. My question is where in the down pipe do I install it
25C39C69-784E-478C-96EF-DC4E430008CB.png

Is there a reason you want it in the downpipe? I would think you would want it Pre-Turbo... in the past i had one located around where the Narrowband O2 sensor goes.

Maybe i'm wrong but i thought for Tuning you would want as close to the Cylinder as possible.

aaron

Pre turbo. Ta headers have a bung for it and the narrow band o2. The other way is with a thermocouple holder. It looks like a radiator clamp with a hole in it. Drill the pipe and install it.

Correct for the answers above.

Install it before the turbo.

But, If I had only one, I might consider installing it in the primary of my leanest cylinder. Because, quite simply, that's the only one that counts.

The thermocouple will need an amplifier. Not sure how you would set it up in big stuff 3.

It’s a cheaper version of a RacePac dash with no logging just display. It doesn’t say anything about a amplifier.

EGT's are thermocouples, they usually put out a very few millivolts If you have an EGT conventional analog gauge they are usually sensitive enough to read the millivolt signal directly I had a Westach gauge that worked that way.

Digital gauges may have an internal or external amplifier to read EGT.

Does the dash display setup say it accepts EGT signals directly?

I believe they are K type thermocouples to be exact. I ran a ore turbo one for awhile with a converter that I got for a decent price the gave the TC a 0-5VDC output that I had hooked up to my powerlogger. If I searched for it again I’m sure I can find one . I believe I paid like $20 for the converter.