Exhaust system concerns with high power?

Wahoo

My exhaust is the factory size from the downpipe until it hits a y and splits into 2 pipes with 2 mufflers and 2 tailpipes after the rear wheels. So it's not factory but it's kinda small.

I have a cutout where the catilytic converter was, but what I'm concerned about is if I have the cutout closed and my car makes a lot of power, will it be damaging to the engine if the exhaust is too restrictive for my combo and I drive it on the street maybe get on it and go WOT, can this damage the engine, throw off the tune?

Thx

I have first hand experience....I had the boost set at 18 pound I thought. What I actually had was a hole in the vacuum line in the waste gate actuator coupled with a terrible exhaust...that would only let build 18 pounds of boost. The waste gate actuator was never opening because it never saw boost.

I was not as cautious as I should have been the first time out with the new exhaust. Instead of testing incrementally I matted the throttle and couldn't step out of it fast enough. I remember seeing *at least* 30 pounds of boost...and cracked three pistons in the process.

So my experience is if your exhaust isn't up to snuff it will limit the power you can make not hurt anything.

OK, so basically the turbo won't be able to build high boost with a restrictive exhaust, so it will limit power, but not possibly cause damage to anything?

I have a 3" downpipe that goes into a dual 2.5" hooker catback with crappy super turbo mufflers. Once I dynoed the car back to back with the cutout open and closed. The difference was 4hp at the wheels. My car runs mid 11's on street tires. Your biggest restriction would probably be the downpipe. The only thing I would imagine holding the turbo back as much as the other poster mentioned would be the stock catalytic converter. I've heard of folks hitting 11's on the stock catback.

My exhaust is the factory size from the downpipe until it hits a y and splits into 2 pipes with 2 mufflers and 2 tailpipes after the rear wheels. So it's not factory but it's kinda small.

I have a cutout where the catilytic converter was, but what I'm concerned about is if I have the cutout closed and my car makes a lot of power, will it be damaging to the engine if the exhaust is too restrictive for my combo and I drive it on the street maybe get on it and go WOT, can this damage the engine, throw off the tune?

Thx
Motor is an air pump.power is made from getting more air in and out,if you can't get it out you will limit what you can take in.

Well I'm ok with losing power through the exhaust, I was just concerned if I was running high boost through the exhaust and if it could damage the motor.
I can always open the cut out if need be, but if its closed because i'm driving around town I want to still be able to enjoy the car without having to have the cutout open all the time.

You won't hurt anything. I'm running probably 500hp and have a similar exhaust. I have run low 12's with the stock downpipe.