exhaust leak at DP

sixbanger

I just bolted my factory Downpipe back on (removed Terry Houston DP)and can't seem to get it to seal up at the turbo side. What's the trick to getting it to seal , and which way does that donut go? I've tried it both ways and seems to leak either way.
TIA
Scott Porterfield Madison, WI
87 GN, 87 GN T-Tops 4 sale, 87 Turbo T 4 sale

Originally posted by sixbanger
I just bolted my factory Downpipe back on (removed Terry Houston DP)and can't seem to get it to seal up at the turbo side. What's the trick to getting it to seal , and which way does that donut go? I've tried it both ways and seems to leak either way.
TIA
Scott Porterfield Madison, WI
87 GN, 87 GN T-Tops 4 sale, 87 Turbo T 4 sale

the cone of the donut goes down (the metal ring goes up into the elbow. You may need a new one.

Is the elbow leaking at the turbo, You may need to lap the elbow surface flat. They rust easily which results in a bad seal.

thanks for the info, seems good at the elbow, definitely leaking at the donut part, I'll see if I can find a new one,
thanks for the help

I had the same thing happen when I installed a dp this past weekend. Loosen the two bolts at the dp, then wiggle it to adjust the dp. Try to make it look even all the way around the donut. Then tighten one bolt a little, tighten the other bolt a little, back and forth, each time just make sure the dp stays where you want it. It's not a prob. at all (assuming you have a good donut gasket).

Hey sixbanger I have the downpipe that we can't talk about or mention the K#$%& M*&%#, and myself and a buddy of mine had the same problem, it seemed that you would start tighting the bolt and there would be a 1/8 gap at the back top bolt, I kept screwing with it and if I would start all the bolts but leave them lose, then tighten the top middle bolt, then tighten the top back, then the top front, then the underneath bolt it would seal right up and that is the way I have done it since with no leaks.

HTH

FWIW, I usually put a floor jack under the Cat or Y pipe and lift slightly, this pushes the downpipe up to the turbo, making it easier to bolt up and seal....