Excited 87 GN Owner

crvogt

Hi all,
Figured I'd introduce myself!

I recently bought my dream car, a 87 GN with 34,000 original miles.
I first laid eyes on one about twenty years ago when my dad taught me the term "sleeper". I've wanted one ever since.

It's stock apart from a chip and a Art Carr transmission upgrade from the 90s of undetermined type. It shifts pretty mean, and has a ton of power, but I don't have a whole lot of experience with GNs to really tell how it differs :)

She needs pretty minimal loving. It's been sitting in a guy's garage for a few years and the limited slip clutch plates make noise after a while of driving. I put in new diff fluid and I'll probably cycle some through again before long.
Having a slight issue with the (downpipe?) valve releasing boost too early, I think one of the tubes going to the switch for that is filling with oil or something... the turbo feature is new and foreign to me still.

edit: Ah, so it's in the y connector that goes to the wastegate solenoid...

Anyhow, some pictures!

Attachments

• 20160816_174718.jpg
    20160816_174718.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 183
  • 20160908_093851.jpg
    20160908_093851.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Welcome to the dark side. Spend some time on the forum most of your questions have already been answered somewhere.

Welcome and great looking GN! I purchased an 87 GN back in March of 2015 and it too had been sitting but outside in a deserted car lot. After finding out my brake lines were pretty much corroded and leaking I decided to go deep and perform a frame-off resto. Although i've loved the journey thus far if I had to do it all over again i would pay a little extra and buy a close to pristine as possible car.

She's a beauty! Congrats on making the dream come true. If you ask me they haven't made another car yet that matches the feeling ya get when driving it. To this day, no matter how hard i try, I can't keep the sh*t eating grin off my face when I hit the gas.

Welcome!

Yes. I remember that clunky Art Carr down shift all too well. It would almost launch your sun glasses off your face and onto the dash. :eek:
That can be fixed. It probably slips thru the clutches on the 2/3 shift also. That fix will require a bit more work.
Congrats on one great looking hot rod. The clean ones are getting hard to find. Here's some evening reading to get you started. Lots to learn here.
http://www.turbobuick.com/threads/info-for-new-turbo-regal-owners.380856/

Oh yea!
Welcome to the site and happy spooling. :)

Mike Barnard

Welcome to the dark side. Spend some time on the forum most of your questions have already been answered somewhere.
Thank you! Yes, between that and a suggestion from a friend I've narrowed it down to a bad/old pcv valve :)

Welcome and great looking GN! I purchased an 87 GN back in March of 2015 and it too had been sitting but outside in a deserted car lot. After finding out my brake lines were pretty much corroded and leaking I decided to go deep and perform a frame-off resto. Although i've loved the journey thus far if I had to do it all over again i would pay a little extra and buy a close to pristine as possible car.

That seems fair, but I sure wouldn't mind having the knowledge I'm sure you got from such a thorough build. And thank you! I'm really lovin it.

She's a beauty! Congrats on making the dream come true. If you ask me they haven't made another car yet that matches the feeling ya get when driving it. To this day, no matter how hard i try, I can't keep the sh*t eating grin off my face when I hit the gas.

Welcome!

Haha, thanks! No kidding, I make the goofiest laughing sound I've never made everytime I give it a little throttle :D

Yes. I remember that clunky Art Carr down shift all too well. It would almost launch your sun glasses off your face and onto the dash. :eek:
That can be fixed. It probably slips thru the clutches on the 2/3 shift also. That fix will require a bit more work.
Congrats on one great looking hot rod. The clean ones are getting hard to find. Here's some evening reading to get you started. Lots to learn here.
http://www.turbobuick.com/threads/info-for-new-turbo-regal-owners.380856/

Oh yea!
Welcome to the site and happy spooling. :)

Mike Barnard

Thank you for the welcome! and for the link, it's been helpful :) Hehe, yeah, when I first picked up the car it was effectively break-neck shifts. I took it to a friend who runs a transmission shop and he adjusted the TV cable and gave the transmission a looking over. It drives like a dream (for the most part, still harder than average shifts) now.

Add a bottle of GM limited slip additive and clunking should stop.

Congrats my Friend , I bought my dream car back in Sept of 2015 and love every minute behind the wheel . Welcome , its a GREAT site