excessive smoke

esm

intermittenly when car is running -- the exhaust starts to blow a ton of smoke that smells like oil -----could it poss be valve seals ---the shortblock and the turbo are brand new maybe 200 miles ---- the engine builder looked at the heads and said they were ok at time of build ---- any advice

What turbo? Did it require a oil restrictor? What turbo drain tube. How much oil do you have coming out of your breathers? It could be a few things. What intake manifold gasket(s) did you use? does it have the "tray" that goes across the lifter valley? What condition causes it to smoke the most? How do the plugs look?

Mike Barnard

check blow by , pushed my dip stick up oil all over . like a smoke screen in and out of car .

smoke out

so heres what i have , blow by pushing dip stick up push n oil all over , off the drivers side vavle cover i ran the line to vented catch can mounted under 9 in filter , ran comp test 165 to all but pass rear num 5 140 with oil 150 , not loosing water when i boost temp rises 10 deg when i let out goes right back down 176 , is this a bad ring or a head gasket , it runs so strong and i love the way it drives , would another breather drivers side help . im lost need help thanks adam

so heres what i have , blow by pushing dip stick up push n oil all over , off the drivers side vavle cover i ran the line to vented catch can mounted under 9 in filter , ran comp test 165 to all but pass rear num 5 140 with oil 150 , not loosing water when i boost temp rises 10 deg when i let out goes right back down 176 , is this a bad ring or a head gasket , it runs so strong and i love the way it drives , would another breather drivers side help . im lost need help thanks adam

How do the plugs look? Start with the easy stuff.

Mike B.

they were fine , new turbo i just want to here head gasket lol dont have alot of money , i no wrong car ,,,,

Do you happen to know what your oil pressure is? What style of oil inlet adapter does your turbo have on it? Does it have a restriction? Is it the same fitting that you used from your old turbo?

One way to check cam lobes is to take the valve covers off and watch the rockers as the car is running.

There is something we havent checked yet. Changed turbos, changes injectors, checked compression (one is low but not too terribly bad), adjusted fuel pressure, etc.

Does your oil level go down? Meaning, is it burning oil? What color is the smoke?

smoke

Rings might not seated yet. check that PVC valve. Also sometimes turbo charger exhaust seal might be leaking ......

Ok Adam, Is the new turbo actually NEW? I'm wondering if you might have bought a bad turbo?

it was really tight and has been good checked it first , blow by or crank case press seem to be the big prob , and just dont want to tear it down because of cost .

Crankcase pressure can certainly cause smoking issues and can cause drainback issues for the turbo, as well as filling the PCV with oil. BUT, since you have installed a catch can, valve cover breathers, etc, I feel your problem is elsewhere. Have you rotated the motor and double checked you compression readings? I'e seen motors with less compression than you have that dont have "excessive" smoke. D you have another thats known good that you could try? Can you borrow one?

One reason I wanted you to check you cam is becuase your motor isnt very old, if I remember right. 30K miles or so you said right? Even though it's newer doesnt mean that it was broke in properly and can easily have a flattened cam lobe. If its an exhaust lobe that is bad, the motor cant relieve that particular cylinder as well as it's supposed to to. This can create crankcase pressure and or smoking because the exhaust has to go somewhere if the valve isnt allowing it to.

The valve open so fast that its hard to see but you'll be able to tell if the cam lobe is flat by watching the rockers.

It just seems to me that you've already checked all of the little things you can but see no change. So I'm thinking it's a little deeper than the obvious.

the smoke is only cause by leaking up the dip stick , im sorry i was not clear on that , i really cant thank u enough for al the help !!!!

Adam or the OP,
I helped fix Eric (xcessiv's) car that was doing the same thing. He had a brand new turbo that was smoking bad too, he also had a home made catch can set up and it was blowing the dip stick up and oil everywhere. What was figured out in the end was, the turbo wasn't draining back and the pressure was blowing by the oil seal in the turbo causing it to smoke like crazy giving the illusion that the turbo was bad.

Here is what the problem turned out to be. Eric had bought these fancy nice looking 90 deg. aluminum PCV valves that had a hose barb on them, then he ran them both with hose to a catch can.

For the hell of it I suggested we remove those little 90 deg PCV's and install just regular K&N Filter Breathers and a regular PCV valve that I had here and WHALA! The engine could now breath and the dip stick stayed in and the car ran perfect. He has not posted any progress on it so I assume it's still working.. I guess it was not letting the engine breath, thus causing the engine to build up so much pressure that it was blowing oil past the turbo seals and blowing it up through the dip stick...Crank case Pressure has to go somewhere!

Just a thought..

Scot W.

I see! OK, so it's definately a crankcase pressure issue. Is the oil leaking up the entire dipstick tube and out the top of it or is it blowing out where the dipstick tube meets the block?