Ever been beat by a Mustang? Let's hear about it

the only mustangs i have lost to were the 04 supercharged ones... kinda expected it to be close...
-he had chip pulley and exhaust from what he said and was pulling slightly the whole way... fast car
-i also got beat by one with only exhaust... he pulled once he hit 3rd
-stock ones though i will pull on pretty good... that exhaust must be restrictive! or just bad drivers

other than that i have not run into another mustang YET that will put me in my place... im sure they are out there i just havent seen one yet

Originally posted by XLR8
The fastest Cobra that I have seen run was a 12.8 on Drag radials. He said he had cams, intake, exhaust, a pully and one other thing that I can't remember.

Of course where denn454 and I race, at over a mile above sea level, a 13 second car is a fast car and a 12 second street car is a REALLY FAST car.

Fastest factory-stock 03/04 times are in the 12.3-12.5 range. I think only one person ran a 12.3xx. Most decent drivers run high 12s with a stock car. With just DRs, there are several guys in the very low 12s. If the Cobra you are referring to truely had cams/intake/exhaust/pulley, and something else, his car should be in the very low 11s or even the high 10s.

As far as this thread topic... I beat several Mustangs in my GN. Think I only lost to a couple at the track, and never lost to one on the street. There were certainly cars around town that were capable of walking my GN. However, I either never ran into them or they couldn't hook as well as the Buick. With the Cobra, I have yet to lose to a TR. I'm sure it will happen, eventually. That's the fun part about this hobby... gotta keep getting faster! :D

My GN runs 12.2 with slicks and an easy launch on pump gas and alky, BONE STOCK MOTOR (just bolt-ons) - so I'm not too worried about anything I encounter on the street that isn't gutted, with a power adder - and even then, who cares - you can get a YUGO to run 9s if you pour enough money into it. The beauty of a TR is that it'll run 12s on the street pretty much the way it came from the factory, and still be entirely liveable.

Putting a turbo or a blower on a Mustang that didn't come with one is like me dumping my V6 for a 1,000 HP BBC - what's the point?

Originally posted by ViciousV6
If the Cobra you are referring to truely had cams/intake/exhaust/pulley, and something else, his car should be in the very low 11s or even the high 10s.

Where we race the cars run quite a bit slower. We're racing at 5800 above sea level.

There are some really quick Stangs in CO. A good friend of mine just switched out his twin Te-44 setup to a single 101mm turbo. Waiting to see what it runs next year. On the old setup he drove everywhere on the street and ran 9.8 in the 1/4 and pulled the wheels pretty good.

Where I live is Mustang heaven. Everyone owns one in my town. I started my racing scene with 5.0 Mustangs back in the early 90's. I recently in the late 90's went with a GN. I wanted to be different. I'm glad I made the change. There are some very fast street 5.0 Mustangs. Ranging in the high 8's to a few in the 9 sec catagory and many 10 second stangs. The high 8 sec mustang is a single turbo Mustang and it is a street car driven to the track. :eek: I have beaten many stangs but I won't mess with the 8 or 9 sec cars.;)

Putting a turbo or a blower on a Mustang that didn't come with one is like me dumping my V6 for a 1,000 HP BBC - what's the point? [/B][/QUOTE]

The point is to go alot faster than 12.2 easily with a turbo on a V8. My GT, with the bone stock engine, added a turbo system, went 10.92 the first pass on slicks. I still had A/C leather seats, CD and every other factory option. I drove the car to events and took my wife to Maine with the A/C on for 800 miles. It also passed emissions. On straight pump gas, I ran mid 11s all day at 120-122 on Nitto drag radials. I think that is the point. We won't even discuss handling and brakes.

I love my GN, but it will never be the all around performer like my GT was without adding several thousands of dollars.

Well Marc,

I'm glad you like your whatever-it-is-after-you-added-a-turbo-to-a-car-that-in-40-years-has-never-come-with-a-V8-and-a-turbo, but it ain't a Mustang.

:D :D :D

I can't say I've been beaten by a Mustang. I've street raced plenty and served them all. I've beat : modified 87 foxbody from start to finish, Saleen from start to finish, and a 93 Cobra (nice car) on the expressway (I didn't want to, but as I was admiring the car, the guy looked over at me and put his thumb down).
I owned an all stock 5-speed, 87 5.0 and loved it. It took a woopen and just took it. I got tired of GN's and Vett's ripp'n me a new one! I'm itchn to come up to an 04 or 05 Cobra! It almost happened, but there was a cop right in front of us:mad:

hate to admit it but...

My last race was against a 97 Cobra with several mods. The first race I let him leave first. He spun and I was pulling away when he let out. He said a truck was coming wayyyy up the road. The second race, same thing. He left first and pulled a car or two when my turbo kicked in. I manually shifted to second but the cable broke and I was stuck in first. Ended up messing the tranny up and losing the race. He tried to help me fix it but I ended up driving back home in 1st gear taching about 4 grand. I hear about it constantly at work. He is a bread vendor there. My tranny is rebuilt now, but still isn't right. When it is I will go horse hunting, or shall I say, snake hunting.:)

I got my back side handed to me by an 03 Cobra on the hiway. It was a friend of my dads who actually used to have a TTA. I was cruising about 70 in the right lane and he came up beside me, rolled the window down, saw me look over and gave me the finger. I knew who it was the whole time. He grinned and I laughed and floored it knowing I would see nothing but ford tail lights. He stomped me pretty bad. It was funny but I knew he was gonna beat me pretty bad. Sweet car though, its white with really dark tint and the 10th anniversary rims.

Originally posted by strikeeagle
My GN runs 12.2 with slicks and an easy launch on pump gas and alky, BONE STOCK MOTOR (just bolt-ons) - so I'm not too worried about anything I encounter on the street that isn't gutted, with a power adder - and even then, who cares - you can get a YUGO to run 9s if you pour enough money into it. The beauty of a TR is that it'll run 12s on the street pretty much the way it came from the factory, and still be entirely liveable.

Putting a turbo or a blower on a Mustang that didn't come with one is like me dumping my V6 for a 1,000 HP BBC - what's the point?
My GN runs nines, and the Mustang is still faster, cheaper to build and able to drive 250 miles round trip to the track and back. These are facts not an argument, the quest for speed comes in many different cars.

It's amazing how many folks have never been beaten by [insert car make/model here] - yet their personal ride only runs mid 12's or slower. Wow.

Personally, I've been beaten by damn near every type of performance car made (that includes GNs). I've beaten my share of them, too. Bottom line - if you haven't been beaten by a Mustang, then you just haven't lined up with the right ones. Similarly, if you drive a Mustang, and you haven't been beat by a GN or whatever, you just haven't lined up with the right one.

Originally posted by strikeeagle
My GN runs 12.2 with slicks and an easy launch on pump gas and alky, BONE STOCK MOTOR (just bolt-ons) - so I'm not too worried about anything I encounter on the street that isn't gutted, with a power adder

Too bad we never hooked up. With slicks, bolt-ons, and pump gas, my 99 Cobra ran 11.60. No gutting necessary.

Would have been fun.

Originally posted by Bob Cosby
It's amazing how many folks have never been beaten by [insert car make/model here] - yet their personal ride only runs mid 12's or slower. Wow.

Beautiful Cobra, Bob. You did great things with your NA DOHC Cobra, but the S/C'd one has got to be a ton of fun.

As far as who gets beat by who, it all comes down to a game of chance. The less you drive your car the less the chance you'll run into a formidable opponent. For example, I only put 2-3k per year on the GN. It's not my "daily driver" and frankly it lacks a lot of modern comforts. I don't deliberately avoid other fast cars, it just so happens that when I do actually have the car out there aren't any around.

The last time I was beat by a Mustang I was in my Mustang. I'm not foolish enough to think, however, that my GN is invincible. I just like the combination of things that it offers. I never felt at home in my Mustang. Can't explain it, but while it may not be the fastest or best bang-for-the-buck anymore, the GN fits like a glove. I love driving it, owning it, thinking about it and talking about it.

Jim

Bob,

I know Mustangs. I've owned 3 of them. I like them very well, thank you.

My point is the average Mustang or whatever hardly runs 12.2 on the street. If I happen across one that does, which I have on 3 occasions and none was a Mustang, that's fine with me. I don't expect to beat a gutted mid-60's Nova with a BBC and a cage. BTW, I don't claim to live in the street racing capital of the world.

To me, the beauty of GNs is that they can be made to run low 12s, on pump gas, with no motor work at all. That's pretty hard to say about most cars in my world. Your world, who knows?

Yes, any car can be made fast allowed enough modifications and $$$.

I'm not saying that a Mustang with just a turbo isn't as good, or better than a GN.

Hell, I'm not defending what TRs are - we know what they are - legends. That's why most of us are here.

:D:D:D

Hi Jim. Thanks for the compliment, and your GN is gorgeous. I've always wanted one, and perhaps someday I'll break down and go for it. :) We each have our own biases, likes, dislikes, etc. It's what makes the world go round, I suppose.

Strikeeagle...my "too bad we never hooked up" comment was directed towards you and your 12.2 second bone stock motor on slicks GN.