ETD in Clifton, NJ

trixdout

I figured I'd post this here and not in the feedback section because this does not pertain to a member here.

My parents and I are totally fed up with their service, actually shotty and lack of proper service. We had at least 3 sets f tires put on each of our cars, 3 total. So quite of bit of money went to them. The place this complaint is being posted about is ETD Discount Tire Center located on 960 Bloomfield Avenue, Clifton, NJ 07012 and their phone number, which I advise you not to call is (973) 365-6014.

My personal experiences with them have included many times waiting for my car's new shoes to be put on, and listening to the salesmen come up with reasons that only a Starfleet members of the USS Enterprise would come up with. I laugh it off in my head and continue to mind my own business.
On one occasion though, I researched (yes, surprisingly enough ;)), which shoes to purchase for my daily. I decided I wanted a set of Kumhos, based on Tirerack.com's reviews. I go to them and want to get that specific model, which I forget now other than they were all summer performance, and to my surprise they don't carry those and can't get them. They are the best bang for the buck, something like $89.99 and they handle/wear better than the 109.99 set of Kumho's. Key thing to note is that Kumho had a special for all their distributors for a nice prepaid giftcard.
The salesman at the counter proceeds to off me a set of General Tires, that I quickly on the side looked up on my phone. These Generals were all season, which isn't what I wanted. Plus they were about $125 a pop and no giftcard or any special deals. I said no thank you and left.

Also looked up BF Goodrich Radial T/A's for the black beauty. They had to "special order" from Pennsylvania, for about $375 each and on top of that price for the tire alone would be the special order delivery charge of about $45 a piece. You can probably understand that a bit more.

Today my father decided to go to them for the free tire rotation and a re-balance (steering is shaking at high speeds). Most likely a weight fell off. I'll cut straight to it. They told my father that the lug nuts are cheap and made poorly and that taking all of them off and trying to put them back on they wouldn't go. Their reasoning is that the lug nuts swell after taking them off. They wouldn't go to show my father this "reason" at the car because my dad isn't allowed in the bay area. SO to give my dad different lug nuts would be $12 per tire + tax. Wasn't this supposed to be a tire rotation and that's it? Kicker here is that my father changed the brake pads on the truck 2 months ago in April. The truck is a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie. But really?! The lug nuts swell?! Never even took one off, so how could you know they are going to swell?!

These are just my experiences, along with my fathers, plus the countless I heard standing by the counter. Older lady coming in for an oil change and them telling her she needs new brakes. Or tired rotation after only 10,000 miles and one tire is already bald. C'mon.....

IF you guys could do me a favor and spread this thread around other sites, so that others do not get scammed/ripped off, the works. Thank you.

Since you live in the salt belt it's very possible that the lug nuts on your dads truck has the "capped" chrome lug nuts. If that's the case I've see more than my share of the chrome cap swelling with rust and you have to cut the cap off to get a socket on. From your description though it's time to file a BBB complaint and see where it goes. Unfortunately this type of business practice is becoming more prevalent in the industry.:mad:

Since you live in the salt belt it's very possible that the lug nuts on your dads truck has the "capped" chrome lug nuts. If that's the case I've see more than my share of the chrome cap swelling with rust and you have to cut the cap off to get a socket on. From your description though it's time to file a BBB complaint and see where it goes. Unfortunately this type of business practice is becoming more prevalent in the industry.:mad:

My daily has a two piece lug but as you say, a chrome cap, that when stripped can spin or the inside can swell from rust.

I would have to check those lugs or have my dad check.

But yes this business WAS good when we first started. The place now has a bunch of scoundrels working there.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I've used ETD in Wayne and Butler with no complaints. The manager (Josh) at the Butler (Rt 23) store has a BMW (I forget which model but has the twin turbo) and races at Island. He was at Island when they re-opened. I had an issue with a tire on my truck. They broke it down, Road Forced balanced it and balanced the other side with no charge.

I'll tell you this, I won't let a tire place do any type of mechanical work on any of my vehicles. You have to know their limitations and use places for a specific need.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I've used ETD in Wayne and Butler with no complaints. The manager (Josh) at the Butler (Rt 23) store has a BMW (I forget which model but has the twin turbo) and races at Island. He was at Island when they re-opened. I had an issue with a tire on my truck. They broke it down, Road Forced balanced it and balanced the other side with no charge.

I'll tell you this, I won't let a tire place do any type of mechanical work on any of my vehicles. You have to know their limitations and use places for a specific need.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Agreed on your last statement. Also my dad went to the ETD in Wayne with no issues twice. First to get tires mounted and balanced as well as an alignment, and now for the free tire rotation.

I understand them not being able to get you the kumo's because if their a branch company then they can only sell the brands their allowed to sell. As for the lug nut BS, that's exactly what it is, just BS. A way to make money off of free service

I understand them not being able to get you the kumo's because if their a branch company then they can only sell the brands their allowed to sell. As for the lug nut BS, that's exactly what it is, just BS. A way to make money off of free service

If they sell one brand of tires then how can you NOT get that model tire from that specific brand? They are a licensed Kumho seller. I can't really be 100% whether that was bogus or not because I've never worked at a tire center before.

Oh I forgot to mention as well one time, I paid them to do my alignment on my matrix awd. It is a bitch, I know it, because after they couldn't do it I went to a brother's friend and showed me how much of a bitch it was, but got it done. I paid for the alignment at ETD in Clifton, and they told me the bolt was all the way out or whatever that they would have to weld it in its spot in order for it to not move. My brother's friend did it without issue. They never even fixed the front tire. The alignment was bad to the point that you could see the gap on teh top of the tire to the inner fender well versus the driver's side. The passengers side was messed up.