Englishtown Upset Again

chris718

hey guys .we set up a small booth today at englishtown and the results were disaterous.first off i wasnt looking for it to become a cash cow.as a human being fascinated with the inner workings of an automobile it is hard for me to understand how other supposed car nuts werent the slightest bit interested in our cut away converter display,2.30/1.40 400 planets,40 element 400 drum etc.i even walked around pedalling manuals and no one was interested in looking inside or to give me the time of day.alot of efforts for the crowd are going the way of the diesel locomotive ,this is upsetting.it seems many are only interested in image and not the inner working of things mechanical.im not calling anyone out ,i just dont understand.why do we go to these events anyway if we are not for real?frank from philly,tony garci and friends, and the few others who came by to say hello and chat are the only reasons why i cant say this was a complete waste of time. the fact that auto people are not interested in theory and the principles of operation is scary as well as being a blow to the psychie of myself and others who look forward to meeting our customers and people who have benefited from our products ideas research and knowledge.i really was looking forward to meeting many of you,that was the biggest let down.christoforos kokkonis@ckperformance

well that sucks! i wish i could have been there. still dealing with the heat out here. we have psca racing here this weekend but im hiding in the ac and putting a double pump set up in my kids car. kick back and enjoy the rest of the weekend chris. Len

i think most people dont have any interest in the workings of a trans because they dont have a clue what there looking at! im sorry to hear about your experience , but i hope the buick community supports you other ways !!!

Hey Chris,
I took a few minutes to look through your book when I got home. GREAT JOB!

Armed with it I should be able to tackle replacing the broken forward drum and rebuilding my old trany over the winter. I want to put it back together as a spare. Me being a cheap-O, I was going to just use a GM drum. After reading your section on the forward drum I have second thoughts.

I wish more vendors and individuals selling used parts would have been there. Other swap meets don't have many TR parts.

Thanks for going today,

Don

hey Chris it was great to meet ya today! You had a hell of the display!! The converter was an excellant display! Sometimes Etown can be weird!! I do not think Pete from Kirbans was super busy either.. Pete??

Being from New England, Labor day weekend has alway's been the premier BUICK event for me. I spent the day there on Sunday, I was disapointed.

I would have enjoyed seeing your display Chris. Don't let a poor showing, change your marketing plan. Most people don't understand how transmission's work. Keep up the good work.

The Jersey crew was there. I enjoyed visiting with them. It was great to see Tony, Ben and other old friends. I talked with a few other Buick owner's. We need some new blood to keep the Turbo Buick from becoming extinct. I think we are on the endangered species list, lol. :)

As a fellow vendor I understand your disappointment. I made it down to the E-Town event a few years ago with my stuff and didn't even sell enough to justify the trip down. Yes, it was nice to see all the Buicks running down the track and meetiing some folks but everyones' wallets were staying in their pockets.

With the expense of making it down there from CT as well as dealing with the traffic on Labor Day weekend, I make more sales and have less stress by just staying at home.

I think its good to see and talk to some buick turbo vendors to get caught up with new products and although there may not have been great selling going on, some people that may not have had money on them may make up their minds on a product will buy some later when they do have the cash ,or know what to buy the next time at one of these events. I know i ve come away from there with many future purchases in sight.

thanks for making your points.i was under the impression id get a lot of ugly replies on the post but in the name of speaking my mind i rolled :rolleyes: snakeeyes.

trans,

chris. racers that build their own trans, are very interested in your trans, and working parts, racers that buy or have their trans, built by a shop, a lot of them dont know what is inside a transmission, i spent time talking to transmission people at the pri show in indy last year, i build my own 400 turbo, trans, im no expert, lonnie diers has taught me a lot, lonnie has forgot more than i know about transmissions, i think you helped me out with a problem i had with my trans, keep up the good work people like me respect your work, thanks odie, [a old buick racer] :)

Chris,
I have been to many Buick events over the years and found that the ONLY one worth going to as a vendor is the NATS in BG. every other time we were disapointed in the result and never broke even anywhere else. Hopefully next year Indy will be different but that is my experience so far
Mike

The best thing to gain from going to these events Chris is you are showing what you have and most importantly you are selling yourself to those who do visit. Hopefully if will start to pay off in the future. Sometimes the best thing is to just get some face time.

going home without selling wasnt a disappointment although many will not believe that statement.being in a crowd of car fanatics that find polishing fenders more interesting than the inner working of automobiles is something a monkeywrench just cant understand.it was good to speak to the few that did come by however.

Chris, I must say that I applaud you for publishing the book. Ive never seen it but everyone Ive talked to that has it says its very informative. Thats great. I honestly have no interest in building a trans. Thats why I have a trans that you built in my car. Im really happy with it. Im not really all that mechanically inclined. Sure I can put a fuel pump in, change my own oild and that kind of stuff, but the majority of GN people rely on vendors like your self to take care of the trans needs. Just like if I were to blow up my engine and need a new. I'd probably call one of the vendors who builds engines and have them do it. Just another perspective. :) I missed you at e town, didnt get there till later. This is Jake, we met at Travis Walkers party.

chris718 said:
being in a crowd of car fanatics that find polishing fenders more interesting than the inner working of automobiles is something a monkeywrench just cant understand.

I ABSOLUTELY, WHOLE-HEARTEDLY agree with that Chris!

For the record, I would much prefer to turn wrenches any day rather than wash a car, not to mention polish one.

Cleaning a car is a chore. :(
Making it go faster isn't. :D

Don