Engine temp-is 215-220 too hot?

Dual fans is a good thing. And a radiator that works is also a good thing. There are three things involved here.
First is coolant flow. If the water pump is not up to spec, there won't be enough flow to cool the engine, and the other two won't help much.
Second is the radiator design/condition. Must have enough flow area inside the tubes for coolant, and enough are for air flow, and must have low resistance to heat flow FROM coolant TO air. If the inside or outside of the tubes gets coated with something, the radiator can work very poorly. I once had a radiator which was lying outside, drained, for a couple of months. Put it back in the car, and big time overheating. Radiator had oxidized on the inside! Took me a while to figure out what was wrong, and then two applications of radiator cleaner to get it fixed.
Third is air flow over tubes. Better fans, better shroud, better fitting of baffles so air won't bypass tubes. But if there isn't enough coolant, or if there is something wrong with the radiator, more air won't help much.
Finally, as Bruce noted, you can tune the engine to be "happy" when hot. Won't make as much power, but it is possible... If you had one of Casper's thumb wheel chips, you could have a "run hot " selection, but it just doesn't seem right....

fan

This car is a stock 87--no mods. The bolts on the radiator haven't been touched because the paint on them indicates they haven't been wrenched. I just started it and the fan went on at 170 degrees and runs smoothly.