engine shop for rebuild around Chicago/central IL

Well, you've now added something to my "to-do" list for June. I sold my Camaro last month and now have nothing fun to drive.....I've got to get this thing on the road and now I'm motivated. Sure as hell can't let a 3500 lb chunk of metal get the best of me!

That's right! I just got my "fast" car running again after a short 2 year snooze and man I can't stop driving it. I gotta take it easy I think the cops were looking for me the other day!

ok, so after going back through my paperwork from the winter, I did install a Cometic front cover and oil pan gasket last time and it still leaks under boost. I guess I'll try a compression test and leakdown test next. Is it possible that the gasket isn't actually "compromised" but because of the excess crankcase pressure from the restrictive breathers (combined with some boost) that it is pushing oil past that particular section of the gasket and then the gasket retracts back to its normal position under vacuum? I know there isn't much clamping force on the front cover, especially in that area around the oil pump.

High crankcase pressure will definitely find any weak links where oil can possibly escape. If the gasket is intact and compressed then it wouldn't be moving around or anything. If the gasket isn't compressed, then it will just plain leak and may just blow out altogether.

Reducing the crankcase pressure by reducing the breather restriction will reduce the leak rate, but if the gasket is a leaker then it will continue.

Hey Tom how's it going? Rick from Champaign here. Ever get this leak fixed? First thing I would do is have your dad look at it....if that doesn't scare it into submission then nothing will :) I installed the TA front cover after blowing the gasket out on my stocker. My fuel pump was crap and blew coolant out when it leaned out under boost. Didn't blow a HG luckily. I have great oil pressure now and no leaks.