Engine Shaking at Idle and Smells Like Gas

thepremier

What's up everybody,

Just had a question about a problem th at I am experiencing with my 87 GN.

Basically the car starts, but it idles very rough to the point where it will just shut off if I don't press on the gas pedal.

Also it starts to smell like fuel (very rich gas smell), and I noticed that white smoke starts to come from the left side of the engine once the car has been idling for a moment.

The last thing that I noticed is that there is a knocking noise as well while the engine is running...

I'm unsure what the issue could be at this point, can anybody help me in figuring out what the issue is at this point?

I checked the oil dip stick and it isn't too low or too full. I thought it could be a problem with low oil pressure... But I'm not positive.

All help is apprciated.

Thank You!

Pull the line off the regulator and see if there's fuel in either. If so, regulator is shot.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Okay the smoke appears to be from some smelled oil, so I don't think the smoke is an issue.

I am going to check the regulator right now.

Thanks fellas

Okay I pulled the line off the regulator and there was fuel that came out...

So that means it is a bad regulator??

I pulled the dipstick as well, and it has a smell of gas...

Its a bad fuel pressure regulator. Change it and change your oil and filter asap

And when you do the oil change, use cheap oil. Warm it up in the driveway, dump the cheap oil and fill it back up with good oil. The way the pan is designed it's impossible to fully drain the oil.

On your DS smoke/smell.... have you welded up the crack in the DS header yet?

Okay I pulled the line off the regulator and there was fuel that came out...

So that means it is a bad regulator??

Yep....no bueno. Pull it and slap a new one in. Then do what Earl says.

That's why it's good to run a length of clear silicone vacuum line to the FPR and then you can immediately see if the diaphragm is bad
It is a hard problem to diagnose sometimes because you have to give it time to start leaking