Engine Removal with 4-Post Lift

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
I’m hoping you all can help me think creatively about how to remove my engine with the car sitting on a 4-post lift. I like my lift, but the major drawback is that the car is sitting on a platform 6” off the ground. I can’t get the engine hoist under the car because the lift platform is in the way.

I’d like to pull the engine with the car on the lift so I can simply lift the car up and out of the way while I’m working on the engine. I also want to remove the transmission first which is infinitely easier using the lift. Pulling the engine and trans together is an option but it’s messy and I’d have to do it without the help of the lift.

I guess I can remove the transmission, push the car off the lift, remove the engine, and then push the car back onto the lift but I’m thinking there might be a better way.

First idea is to raise the lift enough so that the hoist will slide under the lift platform. This will put the car about a foot in the air and I doubt the hydraulic cylinder on the hoist will clear the nose of the car at that point.

Second idea is to build some sort of platform in front of the lift platform. The second platform would be the same height as the lift so that I can slide the hoist under the car. I’d also have to build some sort of platform to go between the runways on the lift which would be handy to have anyway.

Last is to hang a hoist from the ceiling. I don’t know how I’d be able to pull this off, but if I could install a beam up there I could hang a chain from it. It’s a standard, residential garage so I don’t know what I’d attach said beam to.

Or I could just forget about the lift and do it in the other bay. But what fun would that be?

Ideas?

Jim

I just lift the lift up enuff to slide the legs of the hoist under .. then just take it out from the side :cool:

What Grumpy said:D I have pulled many engines with my 4 post with a cherry picker style engine puller. I use a picker thats from Summit Racing but have also used the largest one from Harbor Frieght (both are red and the fold up style) and they both will lift and engine high enough that it will almost touch the lifting arm! It takes this to clear the header panel on the way out with it. As long as your particular cherry picker lifts high enough and the boom slides out far enough then this is the procedure I use.

Just raise the lift barely high enough to clear the legs of the picker. I have the hook part of the picker as close to the plenum as possible with out touchin it to keep the max height I can raise the engine picker to clear the header panel. I use a chain with a hook on one end to fit the factory loop braket on the pass side front of the intake(if it still there because it helps to clear the pleanum, vac lines, exc.) and pull the very back intake bolt out of the driver side rear and put it through a link of the chain and retighting it in tight and lift it out keeping an eye on everything as the motor tries to grab the harness and everything else..lol

As far as the trans. I put a jack under it while Im pulling the engine and after Im done slide under and unbolt the crossmember, ds, speedo cable, shift cable, unplug the converter plug and roll the trans forward on the jack and then raise the lift. Or you can pull the trans first as you said. I have pulled them out both ways and its a matter of preferance. Usually the trans stays in my cars it seems and I use two pull straps through the trans bolt holes and hook the to the fire wall to hold it in the exact position it was when the jack was holding it until Im ready to reinstall the engine. Then I put the jack back under lift it till it touches the bottom of the trans pan, takes the straps out and reinstall the engine.

Sorry this is so long but thats as short as I could make it and give you the way I have 100% using a 4 post success:biggrin:

Hope this helps.

Thanks both for the replies.

I've pulled it from the side before, but without the lift. I might have to extend the boom a little more than the manufacturer intended but it should work. Actually it might be easier with the lift since the tire won't be in the way.

Last time I couldn't get the engine back in from the side, but I was trying to mate it up with the trans in place. It simply wouldn't work. This is why I wanted to take the trans out first. That way it's out of the way from the get go.

It's been 6 years since I've had the engine out. Should be a blast.

Thanks again,
Jim

IMO much easier to remove the trans first...lower it with a trans jack and just push it back under the car a little...only need to push it back 5 or 6" then the motor goes in and out very easy...from the front or side...have done it boths ways...