Engine recommendation

Rugby

This summer I will have the motor and tranny out of my car because I am pulling the body for body work.

While the motor is out I want to put new seals on the oil pan valve covers and intak. Check the timming chain and cam.

I am thinking about pulling the rods and main caps to check the brearings and crank.

I am also thinking about pulling the heads to do a valve job.

I dont have the cash for a complete rebuild. It currently runs pretty well with no known issues.

I have built a few engines in the past and have or have ascess to all the measuring tools need to meaure everything.

Will I be opening a can of worms that dont need to be opened?

if you where on a tight budget what would you do while it is out?

My goal is to have a nice driver that doesnt leak oil.

I didn't even remove my engine. All I wanted was to add a fresh set of heads and decided to drop the oil pan and with that alone followed all bad news and the car was running decent before starting with the head job replacement. I just wanted a bit more speed but dropped the pan and I found metal chips so checked the seals and was showing wear. I didnt have a choice anymore. I'm in a new build about 9k so far and car still not up and running yet.

If there's a tight budget and no issues, just drop the oil pan, timing cover and replace timing chain if known to be stock (they have plastic teeth). Don't touch the heads. You could do valve springs without pulling heads using compressed air in the spark plug at the right rotations. Other than that, if you don't have at least 10k to burn, leave it alone if there is oil and oil pressure.

I think the heads have been off before but I am not positive. I put comp 980 springs on it a few months ago. The oil pressure is a little low but it might be that my gauge is off. In idle hot it is between 15-20psi.

Would it be worth it to do the earl brown mods to the front cover for oiling?

If it were me, I prob would inspect the rods and bearings just to make sure, and change the timing chain too . However that all depends on how many miles are on the motor and how well it was taken care of. Once again, if it were me (and my funds are limited as well) I would keep any mods at a bare minimum because they cost more cash-- since all you want is a nice driver that doesn't leak. That is what my bone stock GN is-- a very nice driver ( but soon to have the stock plastic-geared timing chain replaced, by the way).

New rear seal , new intake gaskets, replace timing chain. Clean it up and paint everything so it looks nice. No reason to pull caps unless you find metal in the pan , which will start the process of you spending money.

Bryan

I agree with TexasT, the guy that takes care of my GN say the same ,why fix it if it isnt broke, check your compression, if its good leave the heads alone, no need to reinvent the wheel.