Engine Rebuilding?

DWB47

Some of you may have followed my thread in the general section and are familiar with my problem. Long story short, I spun a main bearing. The bearing only moved slightly but it was enough to keep the motor from cranking. The crank isn't gouged or anything to bad. I'm on a really tight budget and I am trying to figure out which way to go with this. I know at a minimum I will need to have the crank turned or polished and new main bearings, might as well do the rod bearings while I'm in there. The bores look good and I did a compression test when I first got the car and everything was within spec. Should I mess with the rings or just leave them alone? I plan on going with a new timing change to. Is there anything else that is essential? I'm looking to get in the mid to high 12's with this car, nothing to crazy. I have a baby due in January and I'm just trying to get this thing on the road for as cheap as possible before then. Thanks in advance.

Unless you need it for transportation, screw the car. Save ALL your money for the baby. Wait until you can afford to do it right (in about 18 years).:)

Yes I do kind of need it for transportion, the F350 is getting expensive to drive everyday.

Inspect the oil pump for wear and flush any bearing materials out of the oil galleries while it is open.

I pulled the rest of the pistons out tonight and it's a little worse than I thought. The bearings also spun on the #5 & #6 rods. One of them was blue from the heat and the journals were pretty dry and scarred up pretty good. I'm going to the crank to a machine shop to see if it is even worth turning.

Unless you need it for transportation, screw the car. Save ALL your money for the baby. Wait until you can afford to do it right (in about 18 years).:)

X2...sell both rides and get yourself a good family/daily driver...the car has just suddenly taken an expensive turn for the worst....

I have 3 kids..a set of identical twin boys, and another son who is 7...I make an excellent amount of income, and I have still have to work a second job...

I don't think you'll find many guys with little kids or babies on the way who own TB's. I didn't buy mine until my boys went off to college and I had that all paid for by saving.
In my opinion, if you're not weathy, any money you spend on the car is money you're taking away from your baby. Raising my sons was the best thing that ever happened to me. The Buick is nothing compared to the responsibilties and fun of raising kids.
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it's the best advice I can give a young guy. Whatever you do, congratulations on the baby.

P.S. The quickest way to put a strain on you relationship with your wife is to spend money on your car when the baby comes.

X3.....

Having to hide 400 dollar intercoolers, and 500 dollar turbos is not fun!!!

I dunno, I lean both ways. I had a '63 Chrysler 300 convertible (one of 1400) that I sold to buy a babyvan when my first kid came along. He's going on 5 now, the itch is back and I just bought a nice GN. So, on the one hand, new baby, focus on the baby, sell the car. But on the other hand, I don't think you have to wait 18 years to buy another one :biggrin: Some of your fondest memories with your son growing up is tuning/working on your car together :) Hell, one of the first mods I did to my GN was put the booster chair in the back so we could go cruisin together ;) (And before you call social services, alky off, low boost and running the speed limit)

But you have to ask yourself: do I need this part or that for my Buick, or should this money be in the bank for college funds. Have you looked at the cost of college lately?

Yes, I'm well aware of the cost of college, and those savings are in place before money is spent on any hobby. To me, it's all about priorities. Do you want to eat out every night? Drink a 4$ cup of latte every day? Smoke Cigarettes or drink beer? Send your kid to private school, wearing namebrand clothes, or public school and good sensible clothes. Same for college. There are very affordable state schools in my area and the kids can live at home, instead of sending them to a private school on the coast so they can party and get a good tan :)

Anyway, we're to the point of hijacking the OPs thread. Start a new one in the lounge as I think it makes for interesting debate and I'm curious how others make sacrifices (or not) for their hobbies :biggrin:

PS....Chris, not sure what an old man is, but I'm 43 :)

You're right Robert. I did hi-jack this thread and I apologize to DWB. It's just that when he mentioned the baby on the way, it set me off. Sorry. :(

Don't think you need to apologize for looking out for your fellow buick friends....You had his best interest at heart :)

Don't worry about hijacking the thread, you guys definately gave me somethings to think about. As far as having a family vehicle I've got that a crew cab f350 that is newer, reliable, and will be paid for in the next month or so. I just want to get this thing back together and driveable. I'm not trying to build a race a car. Trust me my kids won't go without for the sake of my buick, or any other hobby. My thought is at least with it back together and running, if need be I could sell it and recover most if not all of the money I've spent on it, as a basket case I don't think it's worth much.

monies

Baby on the way huh -congrats papa :)): No better fealing in the world then to become a father but not to worry ,you dont have give up your GN.I know little bit on the subject since I have five kids and still have both of my turbo cars .:rolleyes:I believe if you are EBAY savy and keep your eyes peeled on good deals on this site the cost of your rebuild can be very minimal..Main concern is going to be a machine shop with good reputation that knows buicks and does quality work with medium price tag.:D

Baby on the way huh -congrats papa :)): No better fealing in the world then to become a father but not to worry ,you dont have give up your GN.I know little bit on the subject since I have five kids and still have both of my turbo cars .:rolleyes:I believe if you are EBAY savy and keep your eyes peeled on good deals on this site the cost of your rebuild can be very minimal..Main concern is going to be a machine shop with good reputation that knows buicks and does quality work with medium price tag.:D

Yes, I am very EBAY Savy, I've actually been selling alot of stuff on Ebay to help fund this project. I've completed projects in the past for very little money by shopping ebay and sites such as this. It takes patience, that part you need may not pop up for sale right away, but it will. Anyway I just got a lead on a good carbed turbo motor, so this may work out pretty well. Also I forgot to thank everyone for their congratulations.

Kids can dig in the sand box, they can dig ditches to earn a living.

Military pays for college.

No buick parts for kids? I don think so Tim

Wish i were closer to you.

I know of a good running 85 engine that you could get cheap.

If you are interested and can work out the travel / shipping or what ever you might be able to get it fairly inexepnsive.

HEHEHEHE

Good luck with all your endeavors.